Sandy Springs PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Recently, I heard two SSPD patrol officers agree to move their radio conversation to "Talkaround". Does anyone know the identity of the talkgroup (trunking) or frequency (conventional) they use for "talkaround"?

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Dekalb PD officers also use their talk around a bit, again you have to be very close to hear it though.

WK4U

Premium Subscriber
To help define "unless you're nearby"...

I have played numerous times with other hams on 900 MHz. We find 15 or 30 watt mobile-to-mobile distance (simplex) is usually less than ONE mile. And if either side is using an HT, that distance could easily go down to 2-5 city blocks! Even with a five watt HT. 800 and 900 MHz signals go through buildings and other obstacles great, but they quickly run out of steam further from their transmit antenna.

So if SSPD uses tactical talk around, you need to be well within a mile of their location to even hear them. Maybe even a couple city blocks.

Tim

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
When I worked at AT&T, many years ago, we had quite a few 800 MHz STX's that we used on simplex for our MERT (Medical Emergency Response Team) within the building. If someone was in the basement and the other on the 10th floor, sometimes the reception was marginal. It's pretty much like when FD's are at a working fire and they have a DTRS and have to switch to ITAC for fireground usage - a couple blocks and that's about it.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
To help define "unless you're nearby"...

I have played numerous times with other hams on 900 MHz. We find 15 or 30 watt mobile-to-mobile distance (simplex) is usually less than ONE mile. And if either side is using an HT, that distance could easily go down to 2-5 city blocks! Even with a five watt HT. 800 and 900 MHz signals go through buildings and other obstacles great, but they quickly run out of steam further from their transmit antenna.

So if SSPD uses tactical talk around, you need to be well within a mile of their location to even hear them. Maybe even a couple city blocks.

Tim

You would need to be within a couple of blocks, this has been my experience using an XTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.