Sangean ATS-909X Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I really enjoy my Sangean ATS-909X, I've had it for a number of years and it is a fantastic portable. But I do not like the tuning wheel detent action and would like to have removed. I know RadioLabs offered this, but they told me that they no longer perform any modifications on radios not purchased from them. So can anyone recommend a shop that can professionally do this? There is no way I would attempt this myself.

Thanks

Boombox

The mods posted above are for a different radio. The 909 and 909X have a lot of similar circuitry, but the layout is different, and the controls (particularly the tuner control) are physically different.

I'd just live with it as is. The detents are included for a reason -- to keep it from going of frequency if the knob is bumped. Most of my Sangean SWradios have detents, and it's never bothered me.

GB46

I'd just live with it as is. The detents are included for a reason -- to keep it from going of frequency if the knob is bumped.
I agree. The detents on my 909x made the tuning a bit too stiff when I first got it a couple of years ago, but I've noticed since then that the detents seem to have worn in a bit with use, so tuning is much easier, while the detents are still doing their job. This may also have something to do with the contact spray I had to use when the tuner was skipping over frequencies.

The only thing I miss with the tuner is the ability to read the exact frequency when I use fine tuning to clarify sideband. 7283.5, for example, is displayed as 7283. If I have to tune slightly higher, the display jumps to 7284. Guess the R75 has spoiled me, but I still enjoy both radios. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.