Sangean HDR-16 radio alarm clock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8FNR

Does the Sangean HDR-16 radio need to be plugged into the external AC power supply to get the alarm clock to work? I have one of these and can't make the alarm clock work on internal battery power only.

Got the Sangean from Universal radio and have been amazed by the FM tuner. I can get an NPR station (WUOM) in HD that is 39 miles away while indoors. I give the AM and FM receivers an A+. And our house has metal siding and a metal roof.

However I have found what for me is a major flaw. The alarm clock will not work unless the radio is using the external power supply. I need a portable radio to take on trips and camping that has an alarm clock and don't want to have to plug it in to get that function.

N8FNR

I used the manual. I could not get the alarm clock to work unless the radio is using the external power supply. I spoke with Sangean today (11/11/2020) and they verified that the radio must be plugged in for the alarm to work. The factory disabled that function because users were complaining about the battery running down when the alarm was enabled. So back it goes to Universal.

Last edited:

Boombox

I used the manual. I could not get the alarm clock to work unless the radio is using the external power supply. I spoke with Sangean today (11/11/2020) and they verified that the radio must be plugged in for the alarm to work. The factory disabled that function because users were complaining about the battery running down when the alarm was enabled. So back it goes to Universal.
That's too bad, as it's a great HD and FM radio. I never have used any of my radios as alarms, ever.... Well, not since 1993 or so, when I used one once, I think...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've had one for a year now. For an HD tuner, it's excellent. Even with the wire antenna for FM HD (and analog). It sucks as a clock radio. No real battery backup. A $12 Walgreen's special has that. Oh well, that's what the iPhone is for...

N8FNR

I've had one for a year now. For an HD tuner, it's excellent. Even with the wire antenna for FM HD (and analog). It sucks as a clock radio. No real battery backup. A $12 Walgreen's special has that. Oh well, that's what the iPhone is for...

I ended up getting a Sangean HDR-14 to use as my daily clock radio and that is a great radio too.

Status
Not open for further replies.