Santa Cruz CA FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sconover

Premium Subscriber
I want to purchase a scanner for my brother who lives in Santa Cruz CA, specifically to monitor FD frequencies during wildfire season. At this point fire season seems to be year round. In looking at Radio Reference, it appears that FD frequencies are analog. I was looking at the BC125AT for him. Will this scanner suffice for him to monitor Santa Cruz FD? Any other Public Safety frequencies would be a bonus, I’m mainly interested in FD.
Thanks.
Scott

footage

Premium Subscriber
Yes, for now. If SCFD moves to P25 digital that will no longer be true. I don't think that is imminent. Santa Cruz City, County, CALFIRE and San Mateo County Fire will also be monitorable. And for now UCSC PD is analog but will convert to P25 within the next few years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, for now. If SCFD moves to P25 digital that will no longer be true. I don't think that is imminent. Santa Cruz City, County, CALFIRE and San Mateo County Fire will also be monitorable.

Yeah, all VHF analog.
I think Boulder Creek FD has been messing around with the statewide 700MHz CRIS system, but NETCOM is not dispatching them on that, so you would be safe. CalFire/CZU and the county fire channels are all VHF analog.

Some law enforcement agencies in the county are pushing for P25 trunked, but I doubt they have the funding for it, and there's likely not a big enough tax base to support it. Even if it did get funded, it would take years. Likely it'll just be a P25 conventional system.

And for now UCSC PD is analog but will convert to P25 within the next few years.

If I can get it funded...

Status
Not open for further replies.