Santa Cruz Police Department's Droid app features maps, scanner, alerts, video

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz Police Department's Droid app features maps, scanner, alerts, video - San Jose Mercury News

Since then, Deputy Police Chief Rick Martinez and other Santa Cruz police leaders have visited other cities to explain how the app works.

Some law enforcement agencies have balked at providing the police scanner on mobile phones. They feared it could aid criminals.

Martinez pointed out that the scanner already is publicly accessible on radios. Also, police have the option to transfer important radio traffic to a secondary channel or make it private.

“Generally it's pretty inane to have (mobile phone access) on your primary channel,” Martinez said.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
I've had the iPhone version since it was released sometime last year. Audio is extremely clear and you can get a lot of volume from it. Much better than any scanner app I have. Audio works in the background after closing the app if you don't turn it off manually. A nice feature to have.

The crime map covers about 3 days worth of information. For anything going back further CrimeReports.com would be the way to go, but Santa Cruz does not appear to participate with that website.

I've not used or signed up with the alert feature. It might be useful for local residents which I am not. I actually live over the mountain in San Jose and simply visit Santa Cruz from time to time. Admittedly I rarely use this app because when I do visit I prefer to take a Kenwood VHF handheld (more rugged and better audio than a scanner) to monitor fire, Boardwalk security, and railroad traffic. The nice thing about Santa Cruz is just about everybody is still on VHF.

UvGotIssuesToo

Premium Subscriber
For those who don't wish to DL the app... or for BB devices, the scanner, tips, crime map, etc can be accessed from mobile devices by going to SANTACRUZPOLICE Mobile Web

The alerts are done through Nixle...and their last post was over two weeks ago..for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.