Santa Monica FD to resume their own dispatching in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Some Excerpts from 11/19/09 article at SMFD welcomes dispatch operators

"Just a few weeks before its dispatch center goes live for the first time in nearly three years, the Santa Monica Fire Department on Wednesday welcomed the people who will be responsible for fielding the emergency calls for the city. The first class for the reactivated center includes a communications supervisor and seven communications operators, coming with a diversity of experiences working in dispatching, some for private security companies, others for public entities, including the SMFD.

"The dispatch center is expected to come online sometime during the first two weeks of December.

"Challenged by a staffing shortage and outdated technological equipment, the center closed in early 2007 when the SMFD decided to merge dispatch operations with the Los Angeles Fire Department Regional Dispatch System to improve efficiency. The change, however, led to problems, including confusion caused by emergency calls that came from addresses that existed both in Santa Monica and Los Angeles. After nearly two years, the City Council in January decided to reactivate the old communications center in the Public Safety Facility, agreeing to address the issue that led to its deactivation in the first place, including staffing and equipment...."

And from there it goes into some specifics.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
is it going to be digital or analog?
From what appear to be their two fire department licenses, WIJ878 and WIL344, the only emission authorized is analog, 20K0F3E.

Their police license, KVJ951, is authorized on a number of emissions, 11K2F9W, 20K0F9W, 11K3F1E, 11K3F3E, and 20K0F1E

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
As of 12/9/09 Santa Monica Fire was back on there own Fire dispatch, I made a delivery to Beverly Hills today and was monitoring S-M Fire as they were working a Structure fire on there Tac 2 and Dispatching was on there Tac 1.

Happy Holidays

RolnCode3

Thanks for the article. Anybody have more info on this, either the original consolidation or since they separated again? I'm looking at agency consolidation as a possible master's thesis topic and this article is definitely useful in that regard.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the article. Anybody have more info on this, either the original consolidation or since they separated again? I'm looking at agency consolidation as a possible master's thesis topic and this article is definitely useful in that regard.
They are probably still online in the original places I found them (the respective city councils' meeting agenda/reports), but I saved and have uploaded for you two items from the consolidation period, giving the Santa Monica Staff report recommending the consolidation, and the ensuing contract as presented to the L.A. City Council:

http://harrymarnell.net/2005-SM-StaffReport.pdf

http://harrymarnell.net/LAFD-SM-DispatchAgreement-2006.pdf

I believe LAFD began doing SMFD's dispatching in January, 2007.

Great topic for a thesis, and I've been in or near two dispatch agency consolidations during my checkered career - the 14 agencies (7 PDs and 7 FDs) who combined their dispatching to form "South Bay Regional" Comms in 1976-77 for whom I was an employee before, during, and after its going into service; also "SHASCOM" in Shasta County in the early 1990s, where my wife was tangentially involved, but she left before they went online. Great in theory, but in both cases (especially South Bay) not at all easy in the execution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.