Santa Rosa Police Low Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbcue

Anyone else notice SRPD's Channel 1 (on their analog simulcast) volume got low in the last few days? It's just so quiet.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps they modified something on the 700 system and didn't account for the change to the UHF side...Or the dispatcher's audio is turned down.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Gbcue

The funny thing is, the dispatchers are the louder users (but still quiet), the mobile units are the quietest ones.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I would think an audio adjustment was made then. I haven't been in the area recently to listen so I can't tell for sure...Maybe I should turn them on as I go through the area...Considering I should hear their UHF side from Cloverdale, I don't listen to them that often.

Regards,

-Frank C.

RussH

I have it on fairly good authority that they've experienced significant issues with this, ever since they've transitioned to their new system. If I understand them correctly, they're even experiencing these issues in talkaround.

nokoa3116

Are you using a scanner, radio? Or an online feed? A thing worth trying is changing the deviation to 2.5 or FMN (narrow band). I have never monitored Santa Rosa Police. But it looks like on the database they are also on a digital P25 Trunked system. Could it be that they switched over and all are on the new system, and that the analog is still patched to it, so what you are hearing is P25 down to analog?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Are you using a scanner, radio? Or an online feed? A thing worth trying is changing the deviation to 2.5 or FMN (narrow band). I have never monitored Santa Rosa Police. But it looks like on the database they are also on a digital P25 Trunked system. Could it be that they switched over and all are on the new system, and that the analog is still patched to it, so what you are hearing is P25 down to analog?

Yes, it is still patched to analog but the audio is a lot lower than what it has been.

Regards,

-Frank C.

KG7PBS

I have it on fairly good authority that they've experienced significant issues with this, ever since they've transitioned to their new system. If I understand them correctly, they're even experiencing these issues in talkaround.

If you're talking about Talk around as in Simplex. Then you would not hear them unless you have there simplex frequency.

KG7PBS

Talk-around is simplex, you know this...

Regards,

-Frank C.
Ya I know that but you know scanner people who have probably never used a real radio. Don't understand the difference between Simplex and Talk around. That's why I ask to make sure I give the right information

oblivius

Perhaps they modified something on the 700 system and didn't account for the change to the UHF side...Or the dispatcher's audio is turned down.

Regards,

-Frank C.
Hi Frank... I just bought a P-25 Phase II capable radio and have programmed the SRPD TSYS and Talk group but the radio won't pull down any transmissions yet... Im in Petaluma so it should be clear as a bell... Do you have any tricks or other advice/resources for this type of system.. Im experienced with MERA (Marin Co.) so this seems like it should work... BTW im using the DEC numbers for the Talk group sted of HEX.. Not sure if im supposed to prog the TG into "Wildcard" or "Radio ID" as the manual doesn't specify.... Thanks in advance for any time.... take care
Dave

Gbcue

Hi Frank... I just bought a P-25 Phase II capable radio and have programmed the SRPD TSYS and Talk group but the radio won't pull down any transmissions yet... Im in Petaluma so it should be clear as a bell... Do you have any tricks or other advice/resources for this type of system.. Im experienced with MERA (Marin Co.) so this seems like it should work... BTW im using the DEC numbers for the Talk group sted of HEX.. Not sure if im supposed to prog the TG into "Wildcard" or "Radio ID" as the manual doesn't specify.... Thanks in advance for any time.... take care
Dave
Is Petaluma in range? SR's reception (on 400 MHz) starts getting static in RP.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
It depends on where in Petaluma you are at. Along the 101 corridor, it's hit and miss once you leave the Cotati Grade. Ensure you have an external 7/800 antenna hooked up and high enough to receive it. That's my best advice.

Regards,

-Frank C.

oblivius

Is Petaluma in range? SR's reception (on 400 MHz) starts getting static in RP.
I have several Multi-band roof antennas that p/u SRPD 400 quite well... That is until the volume dropped out like everyone else is experiencing. Im on the east side.. I have two old SRPD two-way radios that pick it up even better than the scanning radios but still, the volume on the dang 400 is so very low... That's why im trying to figure out this TRX-1 700mhz TSYS... I have MERA programmed just fine so Im not sure why this P-25 Phase II is giving me trouble... Enjoy :giggle:

KG7PBS

I have several Multi-band roof antennas that p/u SRPD 400 quite well... That is until the volume dropped out like everyone else is experiencing. Im on the east side.. I have two old SRPD two-way radios that pick it up even better than the scanning radios but still, the volume on the dang 400 is so very low... That's why im trying to figure out this TRX-1 700mhz TSYS... I have MERA programmed just fine so Im not sure why this P-25 Phase II is giving me trouble... Enjoy :giggle:
what APX do you have?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber

The multiband antenna might be deaf on 700 or you might just be in the right blind spot for the system.

what APX do you have?

He never said anything about an APX.

Regards,

-Frank C.

oblivius

Correct.. If APX radios are digital i have none.. ALSO... When inputing Truck sys freq's should i put the Control ch Freq's first or does the order matter ? Thanks everyone

oblivius

and follow up... I noticed i have ALL the control channels in MERA TSYS and i did NOT input any of the "black text" freq's of which there are many... Should I leave those out or put in ALL ? Thanks

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Correct.. If APX radios are digital i have none.. ALSO... When inputing Truck sys freq's should i put the Control ch Freq's first or does the order matter ? Thanks everyone
Which radio did you purchase for the SRPD system?

your right but you need an APX to listen to a Phase II system
Scanners, not everyone can buy an APX or Harris to listen to a Phase II system... ;)

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.