Sanyo 2700 mah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaris07

I bought Sanyo 2700 mAh back about 4 months ago. For the last week I have noticed they were slowly going down hill. I had them on my charger for 16 hours over night and got 35 min of use. Very disappointing, I read a lot of forums here on this battery type. All sounded good. Oh well....So I had my wife go and pick me up some Energizers. 2400mAh, I have had good luck with them in the past. Not sure what happen to my Sanyo 2700 mah.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What charger are you using?

Any chance the cells were discharged beyond the point of being recharged?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yaris, you can't simply charge batteries like this, even in the XT scanners without a little care. 16 hours is entirely too long, and if they were hot when they were charged, that's even worse. Granted, the XT scanners can regulate the amount of time to recharge, but they aren't designed to detect overheating or overcharge conditions.

Most folks buy external chargers which are designed to handle this. Overheating batteries is a sure way to shorten their life span; and in fact, if they get too hot, they could explode all over the battery casing. Not a pretty sight.

73 Mike

Yaris07

When I bought the Sanyo 2700 mAh. I bought them with the charger, a slow charger. It would charge for 16 hours. No way to adjust time. When it reached 16 hours it would shut off.. Thanks for you input.

jackj

The Sanyo charger that is sold with the batteries should be a good charger to use with them. Next comes the question of how you are using them. You didn't state it but I'm going to assume that the batteries are AA size and use Ni-Mh chemistry. These batteries should never be discharged completely as that will ruin them. They will last a lot longer if you discharge them to about 50% capacity and then charge them. Sanyo makes good batteries so I don't think your problem is because the brand name is Sanyo.

Yaris07

the batteries are AA size and use Ni-Mh . I never knew that running this battery completely down could do this thanks for your reply.

slicerwizard

With 2700 mAh cells, you're trading reliability for capacity. More charge carrying material means thinner insulators. There is no free lunch.

With a dumb 16 hour charger, you're guaranteeing that the charger will overcharge (and slowly ruin) your cells. Your new Energizers will not survive this abuse either.

LordJ

I've had great luck with the Sanyo and the MAHA mh-c401fs charger... Have gotten over a year out of them, and I would say my 396 gets a couple hours a day use..

Status
Not open for further replies.