SAQ on the air

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab3a

For those interested in LF reception, SAQ will be on the air on December 10 from 0800 UTC to 1600 UTC. The frequency will be 17.2 kHz (Yes, I meant kHz). If you do a bit of searching you may find a number of sound card programs and antennas suitable for receiving this transmission.

See their web page for details.

k9rzz

Any idea if they are audible in the USA? What kind of signal do they have? I mean, that's a tough one!

ab3a

Saq

I don't know if I'll hear them, but it was designed and intended for transatlantic work.

By the way, the oscillator is a 200 kW mechanical alternator. I wonder what it will sound like...

Last edited:

ab3a

Didn't hear it

OK, so it was a half hearted attempt from work, but I did try. My radio was actually an old Rycom selective level meter we had lying around (still works too!), and an ad-hoc loop we laid on the ground made from a spool of #14 wire.

The problem is that we were picking up a crapload of trash from variable frequency drives in buildings 1/4 mile away.. This is why antennas are a big deal ladies and gentlemen. For the Christmas day message, I'm going to try building a loop and getting it above most of the ambient electric fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.