SAR Forum

Acox565

Anyone know what channels to be monitoring for the SAR forum going on in Hampton this week? Are they on the ORION, STARS, or local systems?

richardbritt

Database Admin
Just some general information based on my search and rescue team experience searching in swamps for dementia patients and lost hikers all over eastern North Carolina. I found out that with a mixture of different teams who show up, FRS radios are very popular, MURS radios, and the like. Unless the local emergency management office has a cache of radios they let search teams use. Or unless a search is sponsored by the local fire department and they use a tactical frequency. I am in NC and just thought this might help.

Regards Richard (native of Virginia Beach and long time responder in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake)

hill

Premium Subscriber
The USCG would most likely use whatever of their LMR P25 channels used in Sector Virginia.

Guess the VHF-FM marine band would have some radio traffic for event, but you need to be close.

With all the outside agencies taking part many of them may be using the regular radio systems.

Also don't forget about the Vtacs and Utacs. Along with the 700 and 800 MHz tacs.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
The USCG would most likely use whatever of their LMR P25 channels used in Sector Virginia.

Guess the VHF-FM marine band would have some radio traffic for event, but you need to be close.

With all the outside agencies taking part many of them may be using the regular radio systems.

Also don't forget about the Vtacs and Utacs. Along with the 700 and 800 MHz tacs.
They're on ORION, heard them today, mostly the Operations channels. They've always used ORION, they setup the VA Port Authority command unit and all the agencies involved can be heard, including out of area ones, ie Richmond area units

Acox565

Ok, thanks. I thought they might have been operating on the Orion system and I believed that’s what they had used in the past. Thank you all

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
They're on ORION, heard them today, mostly the Operations channels. They've always used ORION, they setup the VA Port Authority command unit and all the agencies involved can be heard, including out of area ones, ie Richmond area units
Slightly off topic, but have you ever seen the VA Port Authority Command Unit set up? It's an impressive monster! Hampton just took delivery of a very similar mobile command post thats just as impressive. Got to jump inside and explore it at the VFCA Expo a few weeks ago.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
If you've never seen it, here's the Ports of VA command post set up at a structure fire. It's kept at Virginia Beach Station 4. Excuse the quality, this is before I stepped up to more professional gear.

Attachments

• 67167149_696854957427902_6093769074955780096_n.jpg
    67167149_696854957427902_6093769074955780096_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Slightly off topic, but have you ever seen the VA Port Authority Command Unit set up? It's an impressive monster! Hampton just took delivery of a very similar mobile command post thats just as impressive. Got to jump inside and explore it at the VFCA Expo a few weeks ago.
Oh yea it’s massive. I’ve been in it. Suffolks is pretty impressive too