Sarnet Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wn4w

I was wondering if anyone has information on Sarnet hear no one talking on any repeater from around the state since Saturday.

AA4TX

No problems with the Ft. Myers repeater. Heard Milton, and one of the East coast repeaters yesterday.

wn4w

Yes I believe hear mostly signal checks people installing new equipment or antennas and want a signal report some small talk but mostly signal checks.

AA4TX

Casual conversation are fine, and even those that keep the system runnning engage with other amateurs in casual conversations, but they do ask that such discussions are limited in time (not long in duration). Here is the way it is described on the official web site, sarnetfl.com:

"PLEASE NOTE: In general, long conversations and rag-chews are discouraged on SARnet. The network voice radio usage models that the FDOT is trying to investigate are short efficient communications between users (think professional public safety radio transactions). In addition, during long conversations you are activating SARnet repeaters all over the state for an extended period of time, subjecting a state full of your fellow hams to rag-chews that they may not have an interest in. In particular, long local conversations are encouraged to move off of SARnet and onto another repeater that does not activate SARnet."

dwhit29689

That's surprising that Sebastian is allowed to be down during an already active hurricane season.

AA4TX

So far, SARnet is totally supported and funded by a small group of dedicated volunteers, providing support and maintenance on over 30 repeaters across the state. In my opinion, this dedicated small group does an amazing job. They are also constrained by available access to the state tower sites, so scheduling is an additional burden they have to deal with.

AA4TX

The State owns and supports the microwave link. From the microwave network interface to and including the repeater system(s) is supported by volunteers.
Good example of a joint effort.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Casual conversation are fine, and even those that keep the system runnning engage with other amateurs in casual conversations, but they do ask that such discussions are limited in time (not long in duration). Here is the way it is described on the official web site, sarnetfl.com:

"PLEASE NOTE: In general, long conversations and rag-chews are discouraged on SARnet. The network voice radio usage models that the FDOT is trying to investigate are short efficient communications between users (think professional public safety radio transactions). In addition, during long conversations you are activating SARnet repeaters all over the state for an extended period of time, subjecting a state full of your fellow hams to rag-chews that they may not have an interest in. In particular, long local conversations are encouraged to move off of SARnet and onto another repeater that does not activate SARnet."
" professional public safety radio transactions " and hams dont exactly mix well.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
" professional public safety radio transactions " and hams dont exactly mix well.
Again SARNET is great but there is an awful lot of “ham radio Police” which can be very annoying. And they like who they like and don’t like who they don’t like. For example I’ve got two friends who talk in SARNET almost on the daily. One is a truck driver who is always rag chewing on SARNET which I don’t mind at all personally and nobody else does either. But another friend who is very unique and interesting and is usually up in Ocala gets ragged on for rag chewing. I even was talking to the second friend for about ten minutes and another station called him by his name and said you know there is no rag chewing on SARNET. It’s just unfortunate but not in the least surprising.

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
one night I was lessening to SAR net & there was 3 people rag chewing leaving long breaks & short key ups
but the conversation went on 15 or 20 mins before someone came in and told them to stop they weren't alow to talk that long on SAR net. 4 NIGHTS a week I drive from Polk to Brevard and scan all 2 m & 70 cm freq and never hear anyone.
so what was the harm they were leaving long breaks so someone could have jumped in

Some days I turn the radio on & most of the 2 meters & 440 repeaters are dead nowadays.

medic9351301

Banned
one night I was lessening to SAR net & there was 3 people rag chewing leaving long breaks & short key ups
but the conversation went on 15 or 20 mins before someone came in and told them to stop they weren't alow to talk that long on SAR net. 4 NIGHTS a week I drive from Polk to Brevard and scan all 2 m & 70 cm freq and never hear anyone.
so what was the harm they were leaving long breaks so someone could have jumped in

Some days I turn the radio on & most of the 2 meters & 440 repeaters are dead nowadays.

not in fla but just up the road in alabama . its sad that vhf and uhf on the ham bands are almost dead . back in the 80-90 just about every rpt was active. thank you face book, facetime . celluar , d star, fusion, dmr . for almost killing ham radio for thoses that dont have intrest in digital radios .
73 DE KD4KZT

Status
Not open for further replies.