Sarnia - Community Awareness Emergency Response meeting to scramble radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

Community Awareness Emergency Response, or CAER in Sarnia, Ontario

CAER is currently looking at scrambling its radio communications, which the public can pick up on a scanner. The debate is occurring at meetings that are closed to the public.
Edwardson confirmed CAER is reviewing the idea of scrambling the radio scanner signal. Encrypting the signal would prevent people from misinterpreting what's said by responders during an emergency, he said.

Here is a link to the Observer news about article...

Emergency group failing Sarnia residents, former boss says - The Sarnia Observer - Ontario, CA

Last edited:

newtoscanning

missing the point

So an essentially "private organization" (as it is made up of private companies) wants to encrypt it's operational communications. Would people freak out of GM/ford/toyota plant's security/internal emergency response went encrypted, oh wait... they mostly on iden systems so you can't hear them anyways...

Am I missing something?

Muxlow

Super Secret
So they dont want people to know when these "emergency" happen?
When i could pick these guys up id always hear OPP put on code 8 stand by for a possible chemical spill or something almost weekly. Maybe they want to lower the "scare" of this to the public or something?

If i lived in sarnia id want to know whats going on at them plants right away. Even if it was a false alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.