Sarnia Fire - Switching to P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Found some new VHF frequencies licensed to Sarnia Fire with P25 emission designations. Got digging a little more and came across this...

Partner with Sarnia Police Services (SPS) on their public-safety grade voice radio infrastructure. The SPS project involves upgraded infrastructure such as towers, transmitters & receivers, and interface with dispatch consoles. This infrastructure has capacity to add a separate Fire system to provide for the critical emergency and non-emergency communications needs of Sarnia Fire Rescue.

The Sarnia Fire Rescue potion of the project would have three phases:
1)feasibility study and technical specifications/infrastructure prep in 2020,
2)purchase and install new station, mobile, and portable radios and accessories in 2021, and
3)purchase and install new site transmitters/receivers and dispatch radios in 2022.

The Project 25 (P25) is a set of standards for digital mobile radio communications designed for public safety use. This technology will allow Sarnia Fire Rescue to have:
•Shared governance and control with SPS over maintenance, performance, and operation;
•Interoperability (direct radio communications) with police and industry;
•Encrypted communications;
•New portable radios which are intrinsically safe and have a prominent emergency activation button;
•Broader coverage area with fewer dead zones; and
•97% in-building coverage for firefighter safety.

Meets National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1802: Standard on Personal Portable (Hand-Held) Two-Way Radio Communications Devices for Use by Emergency Services Personnel in the Hazard Zone and Occupational Health & Safety Act Section 21 Guidance Note 2-3 Radio Communications.[\quote]

Hopefully the encryption is just for interop with Sarnia Police.... Buuuuut I wouldn't hold my breath.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Another one bites the dust.
Now to see if Point Edward goes P25 as they are dispatched out by Sarnia Fire and not Wallaceburg CACC like the rest of Lambton County on DMR.

Sarnia Fire was originally encrypted on DMR when they first got the system, then got rid of it due to coverage issues.. So I'll just assume next year when they switch over to the APX's they will turn that sucker back on. If not.. at least any of my VHF radios for FleetNet will have a use still. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.