Sarnia, ON - OPP costing controversy continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtc199

What doesn't make sense to me is the cost of changing the radio system. There already is a Fleetnet tower in Sarnia, so what is the 1.7 million for??

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Can't really say what the costs will be but it's not as simple as one person on the Comments section seems to think it is.

The current radios do have P25 compatible modulation but that's about all they have in common with the OPP radios.

They'll all need to be flashed for Smartzone which could turn out to be quite pricey since they would currently have the very basic package you could buy.

Then there's the hardware to support mobile repeaters and the added cost of DEK boxes to support messaging.

Toss in a BEAT repeater and a whack of new Tait portables while you're at it.

OPP might be considering adding another VHF site right in Sarnia along with more receive sites similar to what Guelph PS is doing.

Does it all add up to $1.7 million? Hard to say without seeing all the specifics.

SCPD

QRT
I read the article ...

.... and was wondering what's wrong with Sarnia's current system? I looked in the databse, see about a half dozen VHF and UHF freqs. Sarnia isn't a large metropolis or anything. Seems like the radio system they got would be just fine. There must be some sort of "interoperatiblity" pitch here that's not mentioned in the article.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I don't think there is really anything 'wrong' with their current system, it just needs upgraded (as Mike mentioned) to be Fleetnet happy. I would think they would either need to add more capacity to the current Sarnia site or perhaps add another. Not to mention they would pretty much need another talkgroup as well. I'm sure they wouldn't want all the City of Sarnia activity being broadcast all over Lambton County.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
.... and was wondering what's wrong with Sarnia's current system? I looked in the databse, see about a half dozen VHF and UHF freqs.

Nothing but it's not the system the OPP use.

Sure, you could put in an elaborate system of patches to the conventional channels but this would be an oddball arrangement.

Much easier for BMR to scrap the current Sarnia system and use (or augment) the Fleetnet system in that area.

Then they wouldn't have to worry about maintaining a fleet of radios just for the Sarnia area.

Status
Not open for further replies.