Saskatchewan 911 Dispach Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobile1

Before Sask EMS can move onto the P25 radio system the Prince Albert EEC 911 dispatch centre must first be upgraded with all new equipment. You can see why this must be done here: PAECC - Welcome

colby4601

Before Sask EMS can move onto the P25 radio system the Prince Albert EEC 911 dispatch centre must first be upgraded with all new equipment. You can see why this must be done here: PAECC - Welcome

PAECC aren't the only ones who have to get new equipment. Regional Communications in Regina would need P25 upgrades for the South Saskatchewan EMS and Fire services they dispatch. MD Ambulance in Saskatoon would also need to upgrade their equipment.

Also, I couldn't see where on the website this is stated.

EDIT: I can see WHY they would want new upgrades to their equipment. Regional Communications in Regina is about 20 years ahead of them.

Last edited:

mobile1

I was talking with local EMS / EMO / FIRE about the move to the P25 radio system and I was told about the upgrades that must be done. Provincial Public Safety is located in PA. The plan is to do all the dispatching for the province from that location.The others will be shut down over a 3 to 5 year time frame. Saskatoon Regina and Moosejaw citys will keep their dipatch centres and so will the RCMP and SaskPower. We must also remember that politics may change these plans. Jobs will be lost and people will have to move to PA to keep their jobs. There is a shortage of dispatchers in this province right now. The city of PA police are looking for dispatchers now and just can not get any.

colby4601

I was talking with local EMS / EMO / FIRE about the move to the P25 radio system and I was told about the upgrades that must be done. Provincial Public Safety is located in PA. The plan is to do all the dispatching for the province from that location.The others will be shut down over a 3 to 5 year time frame. Saskatoon Regina and Moosejaw citys will keep their dipatch centres and so will the RCMP and SaskPower. We must also remember that politics may change these plans. Jobs will be lost and people will have to move to PA to keep their jobs. There is a shortage of dispatchers in this province right now. The city of PA police are looking for dispatchers now and just can not get any.

That's interesting. Do you have any document that supports the moving of all dispatch to PA? I'm not doubting you, I just want to look more into this personally. I couldn't really see Regional Communications being shut down in the next 3-5 years when they just had upgrades not to long ago.

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens.

mobile1

Just do a Google search for: Saskatchewan Emergency Medical Services EMS Review Final Report 2009. It sounded to me like this maybe what they based their information on. They said that the Regional Dispatch Centres had not been upgraded at this time so there is no need to rush out and get new P25 radios and that there were only plans to upgrade PA Dispatch next year. Could you have a look around in Regina's Dispatch Centre and see if they are ready or not? EMS Report link: www.health.gov.sk.ca/ems-review

Last edited:

colby4601

Just do a Google search for: Saskatchewan Emergency Medical Services EMS Review Final Report 2009. It sounded to me like this maybe what they based their information on. They said that the Regional Dispatch Centres had not been upgraded at this time so there is no need to rush out and get new P25 radios and that there were only plans to upgrade PA Dispatch next year. Could you have a look around in Regina's Dispatch Centre and see if they are ready or not? EMS Report link: Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Review - Health -

I took a look at the report and that was actually an interesting read and overview of all EMS. Thanks for the link, mobile1.

From my understanding, they want a standardized CAD system provincewide and for all Ambulances to have GPS tracking in them. That was my understanding. I didn't see anything pertaining to any radio systems.

I'll get back to you tomorrow about Regional and upgrades. It would be interesting to even contact PA ECC and see what they have to say about upgrades and such.

mobile1

This was just a report. What their plans are and what they will do about it is not clear at this point. I found the information about dispatching on pages # 12+13 "some viability" and "challenged relationship between CPSP + EMS" / 28+29 "five dispatch centres that are not linked" and "no real time AVL or GPS" / 38+39 / 52 and 66 to be the most informative. I never knew PSAP handled most of the calls and then sends the information to the others. I can now understand why there should be just one large 911 call centre for the whole province.

colby4601

This was just a report. What their plans are and what they will do about it is not clear at this point. I found the information about dispatching on pages # 12+13 "some viability" and "challenged relationship between CPSP + EMS" / 28+29 "five dispatch centres that are not linked" and "no real time AVL or GPS" / 38+39 / 52 and 66 to be the most informative. I never knew PSAP handled most of the calls and then sends the information to the others. I can now understand why there should be just one large 911 call centre for the whole province.

I agree, the report was very informative. On all levels.

I think the idea of one 911 answering point is a good idea, but one consolidated Communications Centre, I don't really agree with.

The folks in these Regional Centres are knowledgeable on the area they are dispatching because that is where they come from. Once you take someone from a small town in southern Saskatchewan and make them work in Prince Albert dispatching La Ronge, they're not going to have the same knowledge of that area as they would if they were dispatching for Regional Communications in Regina.

If there is a way to keep all of these Regional Centres and ensure they are somehow linked, fantastic.

I personally believe that if we can effectively operate 5 Communications Centres as we are right now, then why shut them down and make everyone learn something new?

mobile1

Regional 911 dispatch centers to be shut down

The Provincial Governnment informed all Fleetnet users of a study that was done on the provincial 911 dispatch centers and on the replacement of the Fleetnet system. The results of the study revealed a recommendation for a unified radio system and a unified 911 dispatch center for the Province of Saskatchewan. This information came from The Prince Albert Board of Police Commisioners Disposition dated January 14/2010 and can be found on the city of PA website: www.citypa.ca

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.