Saskatchewan Dept. of Highways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think rusty15 is looking for information about Saskatchewan Department of Highways (SDH) and not Saskatchewan Highway Patrol (SHP).
SHP is on PPSTN and is encrypted.
SDH is using encrypted NXDN radios on their VHF channel.
Neither of these agencies can be monitored with a scanner.
This is Saskatchewan !

Attachments

• Highway Hotline issues emergency advisory for Sask_ roads ___.jpg
    Highway Hotline issues emergency advisory for Sask_ roads ___.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 26

I think rusty15 is looking for information about Saskatchewan Department of Highways (SDH) and not Saskatchewan Highway Patrol (SHP).
SHP is on PPSTN and is encrypted.
SDH is using encrypted NXDN radios on their VHF channel.
Neither of these agencies can be monitored with a scanner.
This is Saskatchewan !

At least we can still listen to EMS and Fire departments. Better than nothing.

I have been hearing RCMP Combined Traffic Services on Interop 10 and that's unencrypted. Lots of action being heard.
Encryption is user dependent and often turned off so expect to hear the unexpected more often.

Cheers !

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_traffic-services-logo-low-qua...jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_traffic-services-logo-low-qua...jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12

Saskwonder56

Does anybody know the reason behind why the Highways Dept decided to go encrypted? My personal view is that its kind of ridiculous and unneeded for such a department, Public Safety, I understand and get, but fixing highways and plowing snow? What's so secret about that?

The radios that they purchased come with encryption. They are short range only and used by their road repair crews. They do not use repeaters. These radios are the same as used by the railroads in north America. These radios are not compatible with those used by PPSTN. They will not be on PPSTN.
Why did they choose to go for these radios ? I don't understand it.

The radios used by Sk Dept Highways are Kenwood NXDN on their VHF frequency.

Sorry, I don't have their frequency in my data base anymore.

I did monitor it and heard the sound of NXDN on it and no NXDN scanners were available back then. I still do not have an NXDN capable device.

When SaskTel throw all their FleetNet 800 users under the bus when they turned that system down there were no other options available so everyone just went their own way.

Cheers

Last edited:

Saskwonder56

That makes sense. Still the encryption part however doesn't. My theory is that they know people can listen in on them and CHOOSE to have the encryption option on. Stil, what's so secretive about fixing roads that they choose to encrypt? I don't understand. There is lots of things that government services don't want the public hearing even if its as small as banter talk over the radios.

Cameron314

That makes sense. Still the encryption part however doesn't. My theory is that they know people can listen in on them and CHOOSE to have the encryption option on. Stil, what's so secretive about fixing roads that they choose to encrypt? I don't understand. There is lots of things that government services don't want the public hearing even if its as small as banter talk over the radios.

It doesn't cost anything and doesn't hurt anything, so there is really no reason not to, I guess. It's like WiFi, you can run it unencrypted, and it used to be somewhat common to do so, but if you are setting it up, why wouldn't you?

Saskwonder56

Makes sense, I can understand the theory and reasoning behind it. Just sucks for the scanner listeners. Majority of businesses in MJ are low band VHF/UHF, so you have to be close to the place of business to be able to pick anything up with the exception of the Moose Jaw Public Works and Transit frequency along with the MJ amateur HAM frequency.

I was in one of DHI's machines and got this image of Kenwood radio. Maybe I'll take my frequency counter next time, if there is a next time.

Attachments

• WP_20191009_001.jpg
    WP_20191009_001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
I think that compressed air would be the way to go and not the wet nap. What you see in the photo on the radio is salt dust. Machine was located inside of a huge salt shed and it was just covered in a layer of salt dust. DHI'S equipment gets so rusty so fast that even late model equipment has to be just scrapped. No one in their right mind would purchase their used equipment. That radio will be covered in rust like the rest of that machine was.
cries in radio tech

Someone get that radio a wet nap (and maybe a can of air).

Status
Not open for further replies.