Saskatchewan Trucking/Highways Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5LPL

I was in contact with a Fireman in Saskatchewan and he was headed down from northern SK when his passenger said there was a "Trucking channel". He had on him a P25 Radio, turned it on and found it. He heard on the radio a semi they passed and a highway crew that stop for the moment in advanced for them. This peaked my interest and I pulled out my Frequency Counter, It was on 152.39MHz with no CTCSS/DCS analog and I was able to communicate with his radio with my Baofeng. I got home and tried searching for this frequency and couldn't find any more information. Maybe someone had already posted about it, I don't know but here is the information. Feel free to with it as you wish.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Lot of users licensed in Saskatchewan. Also in Alberta it is licensed to Alberta Sustainable Resources. And a lot of licensed users in BC as well. It is not one of the ISEDC so called trucker frequencies for which one still has to have a license for their radio but can use the allotted frequencies with restrictions on areas that they can be used. But that has been discussed in numerous other threads.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
I was in contact with a Fireman in Saskatchewan and he was headed down from northern SK when his passenger said there was a "Trucking channel". He had on him a P25 Radio, turned it on and found it. He heard on the radio a semi they passed and a highway crew that stop for the moment in advanced for them. This peaked my interest and I pulled out my Frequency Counter, It was on 152.39MHz with no CTCSS/DCS analog and I was able to communicate with his radio with my Baofeng. I got home and tried searching for this frequency and couldn't find any more information. Maybe someone had already posted about it, I don't know but here is the information. Feel free to with it as you wish.

Go here for more information.

73's

DE VE5JL

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It's find getting licensed for them, it's another thing to use them without a license or authorization. For example, there are restrictions on most of the so called open frequencies in Alberta, but they are not shown on RR. One assumes that because they use it in Saskatchewan, or BC, coming to Alberta they can also use it there. And vice versa. I wonder if we should be careful about calling them open frequencies unless confirmed by ISDEC?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It's find getting licensed for them

Yup.

it's another thing to use them without a license or authorization.

Who's talking about using them with out authorization?

For example, there are restrictions on most of the so called open frequencies in Alberta, but they are not shown on RR.

Actually it's hit and miss. The Alberta open channels show their restrictions, but the LADD channels do not.

One assumes that because they use it in Saskatchewan, or BC, coming to Alberta they can also use it there. And vice versa.

Who is assuming? You?

Reread the OP. Nobody said anything about using this particular frequency in Alberta or BC.

I wonder if we should be careful about calling them open frequencies unless confirmed by ISDEC?

Nobody is calling it an open frequency. I simply stated that it is like one of the very common mobile only frequencies that is available in Alberta, that almost anyone can get licensed for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Actually it's hit and miss. The Alberta open channels show their restrictions, but the LADD channels do not.

But looking at licenses for the LADD frequencies from ISDEC, all of them have restrictions on areas of use. As you well know. That is what is missing from the RR listing. There are enough people, aka truckers and others including amateur radio operators who assume that the LADD frequencies are open frequencies for one and all to use anywhere. People read that 152.39 is a Saskatchewan Trucking/Highways Channel, that it can be used anywhere and anytime as per the LADD frequencies. Now, I have not looked at a license from Saskatchewan to see if ISDEC states it can be used with the same authorization as the Alberta Open and LADD. Mind you, I don't think a lot of people who are licensed even bother to look at the license for restrictions on use. I have heard truckers using 152.39 in Alberta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.