Satellit 800 receive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody_46

I picked up the radio cheap but suspect there is a blown transistor in the front end. What I notice is no appreciable gain on SW and Air using an outdoor antennas versus the whip. The reason I ask is the original owner was a CBer and might have transmitted with the radio on. Everything works good other than that.

Even on regular AM BC local stations will hit 30dB over but still not much of a difference with the longwire and yes I've switched it properly on the back.

Compared to my Icoms it also reads about 20db less on the S meter. Anybody own one that can comment?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Boombox

Dumb question time: did you check the internal / external antenna switch on the back of the radio?

I don't have a Grundig or 800, but from reading on the 'net I think these Grundigs have them.

I know on other radios (the Sangean 803 / DX440 for example) have them, and if the switch is oxidized, it will cut the signal coming from an external antenna.

woody_46

Yep..did that of course.:) Switch is not broken either.

I'm impressed by how well this works off the telescoping antenna (whip). When switched to and using an external long wire antenna there's not much difference from the telescoping antenna, I was expecting a big difference. The radio works and sounds well otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.