Yaesu: Satellite Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

Recommendations For Building a Satellite Antenna

Hey everybody! I am looking to build an antenna to use for Satellite operations.

This antenna will be used with a Yaesu FT1DR, dual band radio. This radio transmits 5 watts power, and the antenna connection for this radio is SMA Male.

The antenna will need to uplink VHF and downlink UHF.

Can anyone suggest to me what type of antenna I may need to make a suitable antenna for working satellites?

Thanks and I look forward to some great responses!

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

Hey everybody! I am looking to build an antenna to use for Satellite operations.

This antenna will be used with a Yaesu FT1DR, dual band radio. This radio transmits 5 watts power, and the antenna connection for this radio is SMA Male.

The antenna will need to uplink VHF and downlink UHF.

Can anyone suggest to me what type of antenna I may need to make a suitable antenna for working satellites?

Thanks and I look forward to some great responses!
I use a small portable ELK 2m/440 beam and it works well, however it's a log periodic. You might be able to homebrew the design. There are also quite a few plans for fhomebrew 2m and 440 beams online!

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
A local amateur uses an Arrow dual band beam. He brings it out to field days and gives the public demonstrations on how to work satellites. He uses a handheld, but I can't remember the model/brand.

He mounts the antenna on a camera tripod and aims it using the azimuth and elevation obtained from a satellite app on his iPhone. You can hand hold the antenna, but that can get awkward.

Arrow Antenna Hand Held Portable dual band 146 437 440 arrowii Yagi Satellite

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
IF you are just starting out, the Arrow antenna with a duplexer might work better and can be found on the link posted above.

N2AL

A local amateur uses an Arrow dual band beam. He brings it out to field days and gives the public demonstrations on how to work satellites. He uses a handheld, but I can't remember the model/brand.

He mounts the antenna on a camera tripod and aims it using the azimuth and elevation obtained from a satellite app on his iPhone. You can hand hold the antenna, but that can get awkward.

Arrow Antenna Hand Held Portable dual band 146 437 440 arrowii Yagi Satellite

Thanks for the information! I checked out Arrow Antenna and I really like what they are building! I am just trying to figure out how to build it myself. I love antennas as much as the next ham, but what I truly enjoy is building it myself. I’ve often found it’s cheaper or about the same price to build it, and I know what parts truly go into it. Thanks for sending me their link though, because I may end up ordering one of their antennas, with a duplexer possibly, and mounting it to a tripod.

IF you are just starting out, the Arrow antenna with a duplexer might work better and can be found on the link posted above.

Thanks for the information! I am contemplating purchasing one of their antennas (see above) and getting a duplexer as well!

Here are some plans to make a satellite antenna for around $4 bucks! The $4.00 Ham Radio Satellite Antenna

I LOVE this antenna! $4.00 is quite a reasonable price! I also like that it can be built out of most parts found in the garage, and it is reliable. I’ve built similar antennas although with PVC piping, and they have turned out well!

Here are plans to make a satellite antenna out of a tape measure! (design by WB2HOL) The Tape Measure Antenna Here's a video of it in operation by KP4WK... https://youtu.be/LBVT-3BwYI8

This is an excellent idea!! I actually built a three element VHF tape measure beam using PVC piping, and it has worked flawlessly! I did try to use it with Satellites but it would not receive. I suppose I need to build one with UHF elements as well, and that may very well fix the issue I was having. Thanks so much for your input!

TO EVERYONE thanks for all of your inputs and advice! I have never undertaken AmSats but I am eager to do so, with all of your help! I am looking to meet you all on the Satellites and please continue to offer me your advice and thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.