Satellite/Cable splitters for scanner use??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Lowes today and saw a 2 and 4 port satellite splitters. I believe they were 30 mhz-2.3 ghz. I am curious about these. can these be used in an alternate to buying a stridesburg multi-coupler? I am looking to run two scanners on one antenna and don't really have Stridesburg kinda cash right now. Will these Satellite/cable splitters work well? as long as they are 30mhz-2.3 ghz? Anyone ever try this approach?

af5rn

left out a word

For receive-only use, at relatively short coax lengths, TV splitters will work okay. The benefit of a Stridsburg is low loss, amplification, and the ability to accommodate high-quality, large diameter, 50 ohm coax. Unless you're trying to listen long distances or running long lengths of coax, you'll do okay with the TV stuff.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
cowboymike1971 said:
I was at Lowes today and saw a 2 and 4 port satellite splitters. I believe they were 30 mhz-2.3 ghz. I am curious about these. can these be used in an alternate to buying a stridesburg multi-coupler? I am looking to run two scanners on one antenna and don't really have Stridesburg kinda cash right now. Will these Satellite/cable splitters work well? as long as they are 30mhz-2.3 ghz? Anyone ever try this approach?
Make sure the satellite splitter you are looking at is actually not a satellite diplexer. The diplexer is a device that looks like a splitter, but actually separates satellite signals and regular cable TV signals which are run on the same cable(rather than having to run 2 cables). A cable TV splitter and a satellite splitter are not necessarily the same thing. Stick with just a cable TV splitter to be safe.

I use an Electroline unity gain cable splitter EDA-UG2402. It amplifies enough to eliminate the splitter loss, but provides no addional gain, although versions are available that do provide gain. I believe these devices are used quite successfully by many on this board. http://www.cabletvamps.com/Products/EDA-UG2402.htm

Dave

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

I'm with Dave. The Electroline (non active series) EDA-UG 2402 (4-port) & 2802 (8-port) work great for me. They come up for auction now & then on E-bay at decent prices. I got mine for $36.

ind224

cable amp

I use an Electroline EDA 4-G to mate a 2006 and a Pro96. While it does require 12-15v for operation the isolation factor is great. 4dB amplification. Each radio behaves as if it was direct to the antenna with no issues. I use it at work now but did have it at the house for a run to the basement. Great unit on ebay all the time.

For a while, I was using a cable tv splitter to split off the radio antenna in my car. I tried a few with varying degrees of success. The Regal and the Artronix, both splitters held over from my days with the cable company, gave me noise problems with the car radio and my scanner. I had some luck using a "Gold" Radio Shack 2-way splitter, the noise problems disappeared and AM radio reception came back for the car radio - seemingly in excess of the splitter's specifications. (Using my car antenna in this manner left much to be desired. I was better off with the RS 800MHz duckie for listening to ARMER traffic.)

That was my limited experience with using passive splitters though, I'm with the folks above on using the Electroline amps for in the house.

nycrich

The Stridsberg are the best and expensive. They come active(amplified) that allows 4 or 8 ports to scanners, to be connected without any signal lost. I run 8 scanners ( Icom 7000's@3 & Pro2006@5) without any signal lost or interference from the other scanners. There is also passive which I dont have any experience with. The circuitry is designed around 50 ohms impedance like most scanners ensuring maximum signal transfer. Most important is that there is isolation from the different output ports. This will prevent other scanners connected on the splitter from feeding back into the switch (oscillator interference) and causing the other scanners to falsely detect a signal and open the squelch when there is really no signal when scanning. This can be a big nuisance when scanning remotely, using logging programs that record fake signals, or just locking up the other scanners thinking it found a signal. The Stridsberg multicouplers have just 3db ampification for connectors/cable runs to offset looses in connectors/ cable lenght.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I hate to beat a dead dog as i know the post is old..I'm Sorry but got a question would a electroline EDA-2400 work to hook up for a splitter to split my signal for mulitple scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.