satllite tracking program

Status
Not open for further replies.

cratliff

I was looking in this forum the other day and saw some links to satellite tracking programs that can track "real time" and gives earth views but I can't find it again. Anyone have a program that they would recommend?
Thanks!
I am mostly looking to track the ISS and listen in on their communications when they fly over

WB2UZR

Satscape and Orbitron are also good, the N2YO is a nice one as mentioned above. You can also check out the Heavens Above site. You can do a search in this forum for Satscape and find the thread I think you were looking for.

Scott/WB2UZR

cratliff

Anyone know why the Visible Pass information from Heavens-Above and from n2yo.com are different? Heavens above is showing 4 visible passes between now and July 2nd, while n2yo.com shows 2 visible passes. Is one going to be more reliable then the other?

WB2UZR

Anyone know why the Visible Pass information from Heavens-Above and from n2yo.com are different? Heavens above is showing 4 visible passes between now and July 2nd, while n2yo.com shows 2 visible passes. Is one going to be more reliable then the other?

If you are tracking the ISS, I just ran a quick pass prediction on the N2YO site, and found six visible passes over the next few days.

Scott/WB2UZR

WB2UZR

Out of curiosity, did you change your location in the Heavens Above tracking site? I noticed it defaults to central Europe if you don't change your data, just a thought.

Scott/WB2UZR

cratliff

I created a login for heavens-above so that Phoenix will be set as my default location. Heavans above showed a pass on June 27th and July 2nd that were not given on the n2yo.com, which used my IP address to get my location.

WB2UZR

I see that, I don't know why that is, I imagine they are using different criteria when they report passes. One of them, I forget which, reports the time of acquisition when the sat reaches 10 degrees. Here is another one to try to confuse you more www.issfanclub.com There is some nice info at that site. Make sure that the time the predictions you run are the same, some use GMT, others you have to pick a zone. I'll run passes thru some of my software and compare as well, they should be all the same, as long as they are using the same keps. Even if they are not the latest elements, shouldn't make much difference in this case.

PS you don't have to just run visible passes, if you want to listen for the ISS, you can use all passes that the program reports. The ones that are low on the horizon are a problem, look for one that are nice and high for best results.

Scott/WB2UZR

cratliff

I like that last site that you provided. Thank you for that!! I think between Heavens-above and the issfanclub I should have some luck! Obviously they arent talking every time they pass, but how often would you say that you pick up any transmissions?

WB2UZR

Even more info: http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=19&retURL=satellites/frequencies.php

That is from the AMSAT site www.amsat.org

How often they are on depends on crew activities, schedules, etc. Your best bet is to throw 145.800 in your radio, and keep listening. It can be tough, but a good overhead pass will yield the best results with a normal scanner setup. If you see they have a school contact setup, and the pass is over your area, that will be the best shot. On the ISS fan club site, there is a listing of who heard the station, and when. That will give you an idea of what people are hearing.

Have Fun!

Scott/WB2UZR

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Lately the ISS has been silent. I almost never hear voice unless there is a special event (like a planned transmission to a school). Otherwise, you can easily hear the packet transmissions on 145.8, but as of the last few months that has been silent. Which is disappointing because used I hear the packet activity about a minute before I spot it in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.