Saturday search for Hannah Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Low power repeater on 453.8625 [156.7] being tested tonight. Could hear it from Main St. and around the intersection of Emmet St. & Barracks Rd. Appears to be somewhere on or near the UVA campus. Given that all the local agencies are on 800, I'm surprised to see a UHF repeater in use. Anybody know which agency would provide this? I believe that the freq is called UTAC43 and is designated for SAR. The repeater signal sounded weak, but some mobiles were heard clearly on the input.

Also noted hams talking in the area on 443.0375, possibly simplex. Nothing search related (they were actually discussing the prospects for a DMR repeater) but might prove interesting to anyone in the area. There are a lot of mutual aid frequencies these days, but this could be an instance where could be found in use.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

QDP2012

Search-team operations involve non-local agencies, and are on several channels and bands. A temporary repeater was positioned on the west-side of The Grounds.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The four Virginia Communications Caches are on scene using temporary repeaters spread throughout the city. A combination of nets are established for different uses during the search process, including VHF, UHF, and 800MHz as well.

mikext

The Virginia Communications Cache had all 5 teams there Rockingham, Fairfax, Chesapeake, Lunenburg and Montgomery Co Va. on scene Friday thru Sunday. The repeaters were both vhf and uhf used.

dtscho

Database Admin
I heard an open carrier on 453.8625 [156.7] today from Fredericksburg. I'm assuming this is originating from Charlottesville - wonder if the repeater is now up on one of the mountains?

Dave

QDP2012

During the community-involved search, the radio tech's seemed to move vehicle-based repeaters as the related team(s) progressed through their search area(s). The temporary UHF repeater might have been moved to Fan mountain to support the most recent southern search. I doubt it would reach that far south from where it was on Grounds. But, this is just a guess.

VFN05

All search related comms have been moved to an encrypted TG on a local TRS. It seems that the media was arriving to search areas before the search teams were. Search teams were instructed not to use ANY non-encrypted comms during this search.

Several VHF, UHF and 700 MHz interop frequencies (some repeated, some not, depending on their proximity to the command post) were used during the initial phases of the search.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I heard an open carrier on 453.8625 [156.7] today from Fredericksburg. I'm assuming this is originating from Charlottesville - wonder if the repeater is now up on one of the mountains?

Dave

I also heard utac43 open carrier all day today just west of DC.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Leave it to media or yahoos to screw the pooch. Guess what is going to be in vogue even more now in those affected areas?

AZ said media down in PHX did almost same thing and city ended up killing most all comms besides main dispatch. Only there I believe it was going to an active hot call before cops got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.