Savannah/Chatam County

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire901

I just moved to Savannah and I have an issue with my BCD996T programing. I have programed the trunking channels in order and I am getting 4 bars of signal and when going through the Freq's I can hear the control channel but when I put in the TG's and hit scan all I get when I stop it on a TG it keeps telling me Finding Control Channel Have I done something wrong? Thanks for any and all help

Mike

fire901

Savannah/Chattam

Thanks for the advice. Am checking it out as we speak my 2 pro 433 programed just fine. It is just 996T that wont program.

fire901

Greetings

Sorry to take so long to reply back. The 800 system is what I cant get to work any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

fire901

Why

Greetings

Why does Chatam County and Metro Savannah use 4 different type of Systems 800 MHz and 700mhz and also broadcast on UFH and VHF isn't this costly !!!!

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Greetings

Sorry to take so long to reply back. The 800 system is what I cant get to work any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

I assume what you're referring to as the 800 System is the Chatham/Effingham system. It is a Type II mixed mode system, so if you program in into your 996 as such it should work fine. My 996 was tracking it fine while I was in Savannah the last couple of days (it was back to Brunswick for me last night). You might want to check through the system settings and make sure it isn't set to a P25 system or something like that.

That said, you can just about everyone by monitoring just the SEGARRN system. You may occasionally miss some Thunderbolt FD, Tybee Island, and Effingham County traffic but probably not much (the two systems are linked via SmartX).

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Greetings

Why does Chatam County and Metro Savannah use 4 different type of Systems 800 MHz and 700mhz and also broadcast on UFH and VHF isn't this costly !!!!

The Chatham/Effingham system and SEGARRN are linked together with SmartX because not everyone has been able to afford new radios to switch over the SEGARRN system and there is no Effingham SEGARRN site yet. Leaving it up gives smaller agencies more time to be able to afford the equipment to transition over and allows for interoperability between the two systems. Eventually, the Chatham/Effingham system will be shut down (I have no clue when, though).

For that reason, most of the time I only monitor the SEGARRN system when I'm home in Savannah. I still have the Chatham/Effingham TRS programmed in but only activate if there's something on with Effingham FDs, Thunderbolt FD, or Tybee FD and they don't happen to be showing up on the SEGARRN system. I wrote this on my blog last year, perhaps it might help you decide which system to monitor: Public Safety Scanning in Savannah – Should I Scan the Chatham-Effingham TRS, SEGARRN or Both? | KF4LMT's Radio Shack

Fire Departments are dispatching over 700/800 and VHF/UHF for paging purposes and backup purposes. Savannah Fire is really the only fully paid department in Chatham County. All of the other FDs depend on volunteers to varying extents, so they dispatch over conventional VHF/UHF for the volunteers' pagers. They also have it as backup in case of system failure, damage due to hurricanes, etc.

fire901

Greetings

Thanks for all the information that explains a lot. I got my 996 programed and working under SEGARRN System last night all is good now. Thanks for all the info.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.