Savannah/Chatham digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

On a recent trip there I saw that most, if not all Metro Police officers had new XTS series analog/digital radios. I also saw one talkgroup pop up, 61616, digital transmissions, but by the time I got my digital card turned on (using a 296d) it was quiet. Is PD there planning to go digital sometime? If so, will operations be in the clear or use encryption? Will this also include fire and emeregency services? The system already sounds good in analog mode, although to my ears it sounds like dispatcher mics emphasize the high end of the voice.Thank you in advance!
BG..

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Some users on the system will go P25 digital in the future. There are some digital talkgroups already being used, although they aren't nescessarily in frequent use. Recently I heard some traffic on one of the radio tech talkgroups that seemed to indicate that the main digital switch would occur when the system is rebanded (whenever that is supposed to happen). As I understand it, Fire and Law Enforcement will be among the digital users.

Status
Not open for further replies.