Savannah Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Greetings all,
I am going to be in the Savannah area on 06-21-08 and I was looking over the TRS in the database and noticed two sets of TG's for SCMPD, are they still using both or have they moved to digital fully? If anyone had a good ARC396 file for the area I would appreciate it. What are the good Amateur repeaters to monitor for traffic and WX and if somthing should go down while I am there?

Thanks in advance,
MMc.

ButchGone

RE; Savannah

Yes, SMPD is digital. It is not a simulcast system but true SmartZone. I usually listen to the main, Kerry Street tower when there but depending on where you will be listen to the southside or westiside towers. The Tybee Island site is good if you want to just listen to that side of the county. As for amateur repeaters, I didn't hear much activity and usually didn't get a reply when I threw my call sign out. Have fun with it Mark!
BG..

frequencyman

The system has both analog an digital talkgroups.
Ham repeaters are:

146.70 C.A.R.S.
146.97 A.R.S.
With posibble pl tone of 100?

Send me a private email and we could get together and talk about the scanner hobby here in savannah.
Email is:

frequencyman@yahoo.com

James,

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Greetings all,
I am going to be in the Savannah area on 06-21-08 and I was looking over the TRS in the database and noticed two sets of TG's for SCMPD, are they still using both or have they moved to digital fully? If anyone had a good ARC396 file for the area I would appreciate it. What are the good Amateur repeaters to monitor for traffic and WX and if somthing should go down while I am there?

Thanks in advance,
MMc.

If you are pressed for memory, program only the digital TGs. If you are not pressed for memory, program in both sets; although they have switched over to digital, there is some very occasional traffic on the analog TGs.

For amateur repeaters, here is the list:

146.700 Coastal Amateur Radio Society (Savannah) PL 100
146.745 Effingham County (Springfield) PL 97.4
146.850 Red Cross (Savannah)
146.880 Amateur Radio Club of Savannah (Savannah)
146.970 Amateur Radio Club of Savannah (Savannah)
147.105 Statesboro Amateur Radio Society (Pembroke)
147.210 Coastal Amateur Radio Society (Savannah) PL 100
147.330 Coastal Amateur Radio Society (Savannah) PL 100

The 146.970 is probably the most used repeater in the area and is usually active during the morning and afternoon rush hours. It also tends to become active in the event of severe weather, as will the Effingham County repeater. Although none of the Savannah repeaters are dedicated ARES repeaters, the 146.970 has traditionally been the one used by ARES.

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Yes, SMPD is digital. It is not a simulcast system but true SmartZone. I usually listen to the main, Kerry Street tower when there but depending on where you will be listen to the southside or westiside towers. The Tybee Island site is good if you want to just listen to that side of the county. As for amateur repeaters, I didn't hear much activity and usually didn't get a reply when I threw my call sign out. Have fun with it Mark!
BG..

The most active repeater is the 146.970; it usually active during the morning and afternoon rush hours with some activity in between. Otherwise, activity can be sporadic - it all depends on when you catch folks on. For some reason, there usually isn't all that much activity on the weekends; I think some of it has to do with folks doing family activities as opposed to radio.

Yesterday, the east side of Savannah was caught by some severe storms that caused damage in several neighborhoods. The 146.970 was very active with ARES/Red Cross communications; I posted what I saw and heard at: http://kf4lmt.blogspot.com/2008/06/severe-storms-hammer-east-side-of.html

Status
Not open for further replies.