Saving from ARC536 to SD ... and ... Opening HPD in Sentinel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I managed to get ARC536 to work on my Mac in WinOnX and Sentinel on Wine ... but am running into two issues.

1) How do I save files from ARC 536 (and I guess Sentinel) to the SD card to insert into the 436hp, since the scanner/cable combo doesn't work with Mac. I have some of my 396 files converted to the 436 files in ARC 536 and now need them on an SD to get the radio going

2) Sentinel only opens HPE files and ARC 536 creates HPD files, can Sentinel open and load files from ARC 536 or am I missing something here?

I feel like I have to relearn so many things I had already learned.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Some things I've found ARC is better at programming and some things Sentinel is better. So depending upon what I want to do, I'll use one or the other.

What I'll do is after writing to the scanner with one of the programs, I'll read the scanner with the other and save the file. (Bear in mind that if you have the SD card in a card reader, the software will treat that as a scanner for programming purposes.)

sefrischling

I cannot get ARC or Sentinel to write to the SD card, and I can't get Sentinel to open/load the ARC files. This is driving me nuts

TedRHayes

I cannot get ARC or Sentinel to write to the SD card, and I can't get Sentinel to open/load the ARC files. This is driving me nuts

Do you have the scanner in "mass storage" mode? When you plug your USB cable into the scanner it should prompt you to select "serial (.)" or "mass storage (E)". Once in mass storage mode it should show up as an external drive on you computer, and should be accessible from either ARC or Sentinel. You can also explore the SD cards contents should you wish.

I routinely Read/Write FLs from the ARC software and Sentinel. There a certain things that are better in ARC, but a few that Sentinel does better, so I find I use both at times.

You don't save ARC HPD or Sentinel HPE files directly on the scanner. When you write/read to/from the scanner with either ARC or Sentinel you are using the x36 specific file format. While you could edit those files, as they are text, you really should use the software.

Last edited:

TedRHayes

Ted,

With the Mac I cannot get the scanner to be recognized at all.

Not sure what to tell you. It should be recognized as a USB storage device. Probably needs a driver of some type; on my Win7 64bit, its using a standard Microsoft driver.

You could remove the mSD card from the scanner and plug it into a card reader and see if you can see it. You can read/write to card not in the scanner from Sentinel. Not sure if you can with ARC; haven't tried that. The card should be formatted as Fat32.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Be careful getting the card out of the 436, the mechanism is rather flimsy/fragile (IMHO).

Last edited:

sefrischling

Ted

That is the issue, Mac is quite different

I just picked up a a cheap Win 7 machine because both my SD cards are now coming up as Corrupt, Clear User Data. In the Win7 machine I have formatted both, cleared user data and no matter what I do it says the are corrupt and I need to clear user data. I am getting pissed off.

Not to mention Uniden's Customer Service line is now 100% automated which really sucks.

TedRHayes

Ted

That is the issue, Mac is quite different

I just picked up a a cheap Win 7 machine because both my SD cards are now coming up as Corrupt, Clear User Data. In the Win7 machine I have formatted both, cleared user data and no matter what I do it says the are corrupt and I need to clear user data. I am getting pissed off.

Not to mention Uniden's Customer Service line is now 100% automated which really sucks.

I doubt it was the Uniden software or hardware the caused the SD cards to be corrupted. I believe I've seen SD card corruption mentioned in other threads; you should do a search, there may be some tools that could help you.

Do remember this. SD cards are relatively cheap, and other than recordings, all your favorites and settings are also stored on the computer; a fresh SD can be reloaded with your data. I never rely on the SD card as a permanent storage medium.

sefrischling

Ted,

I read the corruption issues and have been unable to fix. Two of the micro-SDs I am having an issue with are factory fresh out of the box, the other is the one that came in the scanner. It was working just fine when I first turned it on. It was corrupted when I tried to add files via the Mac. Then the two new ones had the same issue ... so I picked up a cheap used Win7 machine this afternoon and I am still unable to fix any of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.