BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Saving Sentinel files for different radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this has been answered before but I tried searching with no luck.

I have two BCD436HPs which are programmed identically. Now I have two friends who each have a 436. They have asked me for help with programming and I am more than willing to assist. The problem is that I need to program their 436s with different FLs than mine. Can I save multiple versions of Sentinel, i.e. keep my version and save their versions as well? I was trying to figure it out and I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Why not assign each radio it's own profile. You can then pick and choose with favorites list goes in each individual radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marksmith

Correct.

This is how Sentinel is made to work, by assigning different profiles for each radio.

All of the favorites lists will be in each profile, but what gets downloaded to each radio, and what is active for monitoring in each radio is custom to that radio.

That way, if you make any favorites list updates, they are changed in every profile containing that list.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I had seen it (the option for different profiles) but have never had a need for them, thus unsure if that is what I needed. Thanks again for the info guys. Much appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above with a caveat. I've got three different scanners, each has its own Profile. Each Profile has different behaviors and not every Favorites List goes into each Profile.

The caveat is this:

If you are creating entirely new Favorites Lists for them - something you don't want in your scanner, then in your Profile you would want to set Download to Off (on theirs it would be Download On). Download determines whether the FL is written to the scanner.

If you are going to use the same Favorites List with changes for them, it's a little more work (but not as much as creating a new one). The way I'd do that is to export the Favorites List (or Lists) to HPE file or files (File>,Export to HPE file) giving them a different name (such as ABC_V2.hpe). Then import that HPE file (File>Import from HPE file). From there you can make your changes. You'll need to be sure your profile does not download that modified Favorites List.

A thing to remember is that every Favorites List will be seen in your Sentinel (but not necessarily programmed as noted above). You'll just have to be alert when you make changes later that you are changing the desired FL (ABC versus ABC_V2). While you could delete those new FLs, it's better to not just in case you need them again.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above with a caveat. I've got three different scanners, each has its own Profile. Each Profile has different behaviors and not every Favorites List goes into each Profile.

The caveat is this:

If you are creating entirely new Favorites Lists for them - something you don't want in your scanner, then in your Profile you would want to set Download to Off (on theirs it would be Download On). Download determines whether the FL is written to the scanner.

If you are going to use the same Favorites List with changes for them, it's a little more work (but not as much as creating a new one). The way I'd do that is to export the Favorites List (or Lists) to HPE file or files (File>,Export to HPE file) giving them a different name (such as ABC_V2.hpe). Then import that HPE file (File>Import from HPE file). From there you can make your changes. You'll need to be sure your profile does not download that modified Favorites List.

A thing to remember is that every Favorites List will be seen in your Sentinel (but not necessarily programmed as noted above). You'll just have to be alert when you make changes later that you are changing the desired FL (ABC versus ABC_V2). While you could delete those new FLs, it's better to not just in case you need them again.

This is great info and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Even though those options have been in front of me the whole time, I haven't paid attention to them as I hadn't needed them until now. Thanks again guys. If you guys were closer, I'd buy you a beer!

marksmith

That is why this place exists. Profiles are not often used for some reason. I guess just one radio involved.

They work differently than other radio manufacturers, but I think better for multiple radio programming.

It sometimes isn't straight forward but it sounds like you have hold of it.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I swear by multiple profiles for a single scanner if the scanner is subject to different scanning scenarios. For my vehicle's scanner, I have a "Home Profile", a "Travel Profile" and a "Destination Profile". Each Profile is stored on its own separate SD card.

There are certain and differing behaviors associated with each. Some things on, some off, etc.

This has two "side" benefits. Since each profile is on its own SD card and the cards are in my vehicle glove box, that means I have a couple of spare SD cards just in case of failure. The other is that it gives me a lot more practice with Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.