Say it isn't so Joe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

I didn't want to believe it or really compare the two but....earlier I was updating my 536 and I fely my GRE PSR 800 staring at me so I plugged it in,powered up again and wow oh boy, it is crisper audio wise then the 536,scans way faster,less static,..,ect. I had the two of them about four feet from each other and the 800 picked up about 6 more hits while the 536 well kinda was stuck on stupid. I just sat there and realized I spent $600.00 on what appears to be a inferior radio. I have no clue what to do because I truly wanted a base unit scanner that does p25 phase2 and don't really want to sell the new Uniden and get killed on shst I paid as opposed to whst I'm going to get now that the cat is out the bag. I hope to God that there will be a firmware update of by some Devine intervention I or our esteemed colleagues here can figure out to get the 536's preform like the 800.

SCPD

QRT
GRE

The GREs work better (faster scan and better sensitivity,less lag to get a hit too) and I spoke to a rep at Whister,saying the new radios PSR-800 clone and 900 will have a full release firmware and possible other forms of decode in future firmwares,its on the table is what they said!

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I didn't want to believe it or really compare the two but....earlier I was updating my 536 and I fely my GRE PSR 800 staring at me so I plugged it in,powered up again and wow oh boy, it is crisper audio wise then the 536,scans way faster,less static,..,ect. I had the two of them about four feet from each other and the 800 picked up about 6 more hits while the 536 well kinda was stuck on stupid. I just sat there and realized I spent $600.00 on what appears to be a inferior radio. I have no clue what to do because I truly wanted a base unit scanner that does p25 phase2 and don't really want to sell the new Uniden and get killed on shst I paid as opposed to whst I'm going to get now that the cat is out the bag. I hope to God that there will be a firmware update of by some Devine intervention I or our esteemed colleagues here can figure out to get the 536's preform like the 800.

It's not gonna happen. I spent many hours running my PSR-800 side by side against two 536HP's and the PSR-800 consistently out performed both. The headphone and USB port issue just made it that much worse.Return it or sell it while you can because there will be a flood of refurbished ones hitting the market at lower price.

SCPD

QRT
536Hp and 800

i did the same,my 536 did not have an issue with its headphone though,it actually sounded alot better than the muffly built in speaker.I opened mine up and moved the speaker higher.I still sold the 536HP.Im pretty tech savvy,but the sentinel software was a pain.Hold didnt work half the time for me on the 536 so I missed cool things I would have been able to catch with the GRE.
The 800 has no keypad,but I still have the full database and search,closecall on the 536 is worthless,since everything is digital that you'd want to hear and it doesnt pick that up on close call,at least mine didnt.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Hey you don't want such a great scanner I'll give you a hundred bucks for it as long as you didn't try to mess with the much improved audio on it like some apparently did. LOL

SCPD

QRT
audio

Hey you don't want such a great scanner I'll give you a hundred bucks for it as long as you didn't try to mess with the much improved audio on it like some apparently did. LOL

The speaker is worse than made in china(vietnam),and its mounted below two metal grills,with a foam spacer so it doesnt rattle.....How can you even hear it?Improved?I'd say its unimproved over the 996xt and the 396XT which actually sound good.

mrkelso

I believe it depends on where you live and how you programmed the scanners. Yes my PSR 800 sounds better scans faster and does get more hits then my 536. We have to wait for the next update to bring the jury together for a vote on this one. Now my 436 blows them both away but it has it's own set of problems, like this fudging dust getting in under the screen :( Yes we paid to much for these scanners, but hey we had to have the latest and greatest.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
This is odd for both radios. I have the psr800 and both x36's. I notice for the past 2 days my 436 picks up more new talkgroups than the psr800 does. The 536 is on discovery for a p25 system (not public safety) picks up very good vs the psr800 doesn't pick up the system as much have to move the radio around when I find a spot it is dead again.

SCPD

QRT
Kelso!

I believe it depends on where you live and how you programmed the scanners. Yes my PSR 800 sounds better scans faster and does get more hits then my 536. We have to wait for the next update to bring the jury together for a vote on this one. Now my 436 blows them both away but it has it's own set of problems, like this fudging dust getting in under the screen :( Yes we paid to much for these scanners, but hey we had to have the latest and greatest.

So your saying the 436HP blows away the 536 and the 800?What reasons?Does the 436HP stop on a system when you want to HOLD on it or does it zoom on by?I could barely get the 536 to stop when I hot the system or department buttons(was a good feature if it worked)Thanks

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to add on this. On the 436hp/psr800 I'm using the RS 800 mhz antenna. On the 536hp using the stock antenna came with it.

kellykeeton

my only question is what was the antenna situation that you have here..

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yea. In my experience down in Camden County, NJ my 436 pretty much rocks the Phase 2 simulcast while the PSR 800 is a festering turd on that system. The 436 may sound a bit underwater or garbled at times, but I can still hear everything that is being said. In the same spot the 800 keeps cutting out and missing words. And now I am just over the county line, I dont even think my PSR 800 picks it up. My 436 does.

Boatanchor

Poor little cpu :(

So your saying the 436HP blows away the 536 and the 800?What reasons?Does the 436HP stop on a system when you want to HOLD on it or does it zoom on by?I could barely get the 536 to stop when I hot the system or department buttons(was a good feature if it worked)Thanks

Anecdotal evidence appears to point to a very over taxed/stretched cpu in these new scanners.

Issues such as buttons and functions failing to respond immediately and/or 'laggy' software operations are symptomatic of a cpu that is being over stretched by software demands.

It appears to me, that Uniden have tried to cram too many bells and whistles into these scanners and now, it's time to pay the piper.

These scanners are only fitted with relatively slow 100Mhz RISC processors. It's not surprising therefore, that running the basic scanning functions, accessing database entries for talkgroup and alias information, encoding/compressing/saving audio recordings, running wifi applications and other housekeeping tasks are going to bog down the poor little processor.

I'm confident that the problems they are having with the new wifi and GPS features are purely a symptom of trying to get the cpu to do more functions than it is actually capable of and it's only likely to get worse too as more functions are crammed in there!

I have no doubt that the above issue is compounding, if not the cause of, the delays in releasing more software features and firmware updates.

Here's an idea for Uniden in future, KISS - These are radio scanners, not IPAD's!

If you want to produce an IScanner thingy that makes you coffee and tucks you into bed at night, make sure it has a beefy cpu that is up to the task first..

Rant off.

AC2OY

So what you guys are saying there is no fix in the future for these X36's? I also had no idea close call didn't work on digital systems either.

Status
Not open for further replies.