saying your simplex frequency over a repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6JYX

The other day I was monitoring a local repeater and listening to a QSO and they were discussing how another individual mentioned the simplex frequency they all use. The guys in the QSO were saying how that's a faux pas.

Why is that? Is it just because they don't want anybody else listening in? Or is that just an unwritten rule in the ham world?

I'm still learning the ins and outs of this new hobby. Thanks!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The other day I was monitoring a local repeater and listening to a QSO and they were discussing how another individual mentioned the simplex frequency they all use. The guys in the QSO were saying how that's a faux pas.

Why is that? Is it just because they don't want anybody else listening in? Or is that just an unwritten rule in the ham world?

No such unwritten rule in ham radio. It might have been a faux pass with that clique.

Anyone can listen in on them without dropping their round table frequency. Just hit search on a scanner, etc.

Welcome to amateur radio, I'm new myself. If you count 1 year new. :)

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
It might be about the frequency they were using. Using the calling frequency for long QSO or a repeater input or output frequency is not good operating practice.

WB4CS

Well, once I looked up what faux pas means, I'd have to agree with pinball above. Probably a group of people that don't want others to participate in their simplex communications. Which is faux pas considering that anyone can scan the band and find them, and no one owns a frequency.

Welcome to ham radio, unfortunately there are cliques that exist. Either you ignore them or be part of them. Cliques are pretty common on VHF/UHF, but do also exist on the HF bands but not nearly as bad. VHF/UHF is good for some local chit-chat on the drive to work, but the HF bands is where you'll find most of the real action.

Best advice I can give is always be a good operator. Be kind and friendly. If others welcome you into their clique then great, but if they are stuck up and elitist, then spin the dial and find someone else. Since it's a part of human nature, it's also a part of the hobby.

KK6JYX

Thanks all for the input! That's what I was thinking. This group of guys are pretty cool and I chat with them when I'm able to. But I'm just out of their simplex range.

Glad I could teach somebody something new LOL!

Ryan

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

That probably happened only because they "assume" no one else is smart enough to search the simplex frequencies. Some even think they're secure because they use a Dpl tone, and go bananas when a unknown breaks in!
Don't let their kind bother you. ;)

n9zas

n5ims

Next thing you know, he'll say to somebody "I'll meet you on 146.52 simplex" and those guys will start chewing on him for "giving out our private QSO frequency" and everyone will then know about it.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Don't read too much into it. Some guys don't always want their conversations open to interruption by "outsiders".

Welcome to the hobby. There truly is something for everyone.

WB4CS

Perhaps they were having a problem with a jammer and didn't want him to follow them?

Not saying a frequency on the air doesn't make it invisible. On most radios, it takes about 2 minutes to scan the entire 2M or 70cm band. It's not hard to find someone that's moved over to another frequency.

While your answer could be correct, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to try and avoid a jammer by keeping the new frequency a secret.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Don't read too much into it. Some guys don't always want their conversations open to interruption by "outsiders".

Welcome to the hobby. There truly is something for everyone.

Maybe they should meet in person or use a landline. LOL

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Maybe they should meet in person or use a landline. LOL

Using a radio is an open invitation for anyone to listen. It's not always an open invitation to join in, nor does it have to be. One old CW abbreviation dating back to the spark gap days is KN, meaning only the station being addressed should respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.