SB-2 long periodic from scanner master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I have searched the forum plus googled this antenna and can not find much info. Dave is out of stock with his long periodic so I saw this one at scanner master. Anybody have any input or experiece with it? Should I just order the Omni X from DPD or give this one a shot?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have searched the forum plus googled this antenna and can not find much info. Dave is out of stock with his long periodic so I saw this one at scanner master. Anybody have any input or experiece with it? Should I just order the Omni X from DPD or give this one a shot?

It's a LOG periodic - maybe you need to search for that.

mancow

Database Admin
I have one that has been up for several years. It's easily the best antenna I have ever owned. It receives everything from about 100 MHz through 800 MHz equally well. It's solid aluminum and built like a tank. It looks and performs as well as it did on day one. They are pricey but worth the money.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You do realize you are asking about two VERY DIFFERENT types of antennas? A log periodic is a highly directional beam antenna. The DPD Omni-X is an omnidirectional antenna as the name implies. The DPD Omni-X is NOT a log periodic. The DPD log periodic is their "118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Base Antenna".

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
You do realize you are asking about two VERY DIFFERENT types of antennas? A log periodic is a highly directional beam antenna. The DPD Omni-X is an omnidirectional antenna as the name implies. The DPD Omni-X is NOT a log periodic. The DPD log periodic is their "118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Base Antenna".

If you read my post you will see that the log periodic is not available that is why I asked about the omni x it covers a wide range also.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
It's a LOG periodic - maybe you need to search for that.

Anytime you want to pay for my eye surgurey let me know, then you won't have to make such remarks anymore.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Both types of antennas you are looking at cover a wide freq range. But what is different is that the LP does it in a very narrow directional beam. So do you need an antenna that excels in a certain direction (and is usually used with a rotator) or one that receives equally well in all directions?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Both types of antennas you are looking at cover a wide freq range. But what is different is that the LP does it in a very narrow directional beam. So do you need an antenna that excels in a certain direction (and is usually used with a rotator) or one that receives equally well in all directions?

The periodic would be on a rotor. Just looking for something with gain that I can move and pick up distant signals with. My scantenna st2 works fine for all my area, but would like to play with a high gain antenna to see what I could pull in. I still cannot find a whole lot about the one scanner master sells called the SB-2.For the price I know it will not perform as good as Dave's, but was wondering if anyone tried one. I may become the official tester! And yes I do have a few different Par filters for the extra signals.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
If you want to cheaply see how a log periodic will work, turn a UHF/VHF TV antenna vertically. If its one of the cheaper ones, this would only require drilling two holes in the boom (offset them if possible to retain boom strength). All but the most current TV antennas usually cover the 54 to 870 Mhz range. Very new designs might only cover 174-700 Mhz. It might be possible to pick up a couple used ones from peoples houses who no longer use them.

I picked up an old Channel Master Quantum with the extended UHF section. Since its a dual boom log periodic, its going to require welding a horizontal mast with a counter-weight, and also require replacing 3 of the low band elements that have broken off. Im going to extend the last two elements to 30 Mhz to cover the low band. I am waiting until spring to do it since its going to require some nice weather. Hopefully, it will outperform the expensive "scanner" log periodics that cost several hundred dollars when I am finished.

Attachments

• channel master quantum.jpg
    channel master quantum.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I figure I will try the one from scanner master and if it doesn't meet my expectations I will do the opposite and mount it horizontal and make a OTA out of it.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
You never did let us know how the antenna worked out for you.

I recently had my antenna destroyed by very high winds and heavy snow.

So I went out and bought the SB-2 Scanner Beam II.

I must say it works very good at only ten feet.

And yes I put it up in the freezing cold.

Brr think I will get a cup of hot chocolate LOL .

nyair1

You never did let us know how the antenna worked out for you.

I recently had my antenna destroyed by very high winds and heavy snow.

So I went out and bought the SB-2 Scanner Beam II.

I must say it works very good at only ten feet.

And yes I put it up in the freezing cold.

Brr think I will get a cup of hot chocolate LOL .

How did the SB-2 antenna work out for you?? I was looking at this to get some more range on the milair freqs. I had wanted to point towards a certain area that I can slightly hear with my discone and see if I can pull in some more signal.

nyair1

Anyone with the SB-2 have a review of it?? Just wondering what you thought of the performance of it? Thanks

prcguy

If its an old and big TV log periodic, at best it is designed to cover about 54 to 88MHz, 174 to 216MHz and 474 to 890MHz. If its newer the UHF side got hacked back to about 806Mhz then lower due to 700MHz public service. Then ch 2 through 6 went away except in a few areas.

A new TV antenna that has elements for everything will cover about 174 to 216 and 470 to the upper 600MHz range. Most TV antennas do not have elements for every channel or range and they skip over public service, commercial and amateur frequencies.

If you put up a TV antenna vertical for scanning it will be a random piece of metal and will not work anywhere near a wide band log periodic with no gaps.
prcguy

If you want to cheaply see how a log periodic will work, turn a UHF/VHF TV antenna vertically. If its one of the cheaper ones, this would only require drilling two holes in the boom (offset them if possible to retain boom strength). All but the most current TV antennas usually cover the 54 to 870 Mhz range. Very new designs might only cover 174-700 Mhz. It might be possible to pick up a couple used ones from peoples houses who no longer use them.

I picked up an old Channel Master Quantum with the extended UHF section. Since its a dual boom log periodic, its going to require welding a horizontal mast with a counter-weight, and also require replacing 3 of the low band elements that have broken off. Im going to extend the last two elements to 30 Mhz to cover the low band. I am waiting until spring to do it since its going to require some nice weather. Hopefully, it will outperform the expensive "scanner" log periodics that cost several hundred dollars when I am finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.