SBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to disappoint you.

SBI has talkgroups on the Viper System.

They are however encrypted and trying to monitor them would be illegal.

Hope this helps

David

WA4MJF

If you're in a non-VIPER covered area, they may still be on the wabbit sheriff frequencies. They left Patrol and went with WRC many moons ago.

Ronnie

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
That is true.

They had a Low Band Channel on 42.720 Mhz.

But when they switched to sharing the frequencies with Wildlife Resources the frequency was then given

to the highway patrol for the additional channels they needed.

Same holds true for the Alcohol Enforcement Agents. They had a couple of Low Band Channels as well.

Just a little bit of info Jake.

About the only agencies that still use Low Band Frequencies (42 Mhz.) is as follows:

Highway Patrol has 19 Low Band Channels

Department of Corrections has 2 Low Band Channels

License and Theft still has 1 Low Band Channel

The rest od the agencies such as Emergency Management, SBI, ALE have gotten away from Low Band.

However all the above listed agencies have dedicated talkgroups on the Viper System. How often they are

used. I have no clue, because I don't monitor that much Viper stuff

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

robkermit

This is what I have discovered as far as WNC is concerned.

Most the time they talk in the clear. When they are ready to go encrypted, they flip a switch on their radios. Then it is game over when it comes to monitoring.

I don't know which talkgroups that they use encryption on and which they don't, because I don't have them stored in my scanner. This is because I thought they used full time encryption (because of what is in the database) but I monitor in search mode so when they are talking I still get them.

They also use the analog Event channels a lot, especially when they are doing multi-agency operations, in fact hearing something going on right now around the AVL area, although I'm not in AVL. The only thing I can guess is that someone must have a radio parked on that Event talkgroup on the tower that I'm monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KM4WLV

I've heard SBI here in Rowan County on both the Faith Mountain and Salisbury (Troop E HQ) sites on a number of occasions, matter of fact more times than not, running in the clear. It was what what some of us would consider to be "operational traffic" but nothing that seemed to be of a sensitive nature.

In my 396XT I've made it a point for the agencies I monitor on VIPER to add all talkgroups for that agency, encrypted or not, simply because you never know what you will hear on a day to day basis. Of course that's me, but it's served me well.

On a note dealing with Low Band VHF, Hi Band VHF, and UHF in NC........ Though yes we know majority of our state stuff has moved a lot to VIPER you still never know what you may hear. In my Low Band, VHF Hi, and UHF stuff I have those things programmed as well just because you never know what or who you may hear. But there again, that's just me and what works for me :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.