SC HART (Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I haven't heard of this agency before, and I'm not aware of any specific communications information for them. In general, I would assume that it's a pretty tough target to nail down because they operate so infrequently.

A google search reveals this article, which implies that they are "part" of the SC Air National Guard: South Carolina HART team performing challenging rescues

This facebook page would imply the same: South Carolina Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team

SC Air National Guard has a talkgroup assigned on the Palmetto 800 statewide network here: Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies. Given that they operate "state wide," one would assume they would depend on a statewide radio system to some extent. But I can say I've never heard talkgroup 27871 active in my particular area of the state, but I wouldn't think they'd be heard unless they have an operation in my local area.

If they have Palmetto 800 access, maybe they would achieve interop with other agencies that also use Palmetto 800 on the interop/mutual aid talkgroups listed on the Palmetto 800 page, including the SC Air-Ground and SC Air 1-3 talkgroups for air-to-ground communications that are used by other medical helicopter services. For communicating with local agencies that are not on Palmetto 800, it's anyone's guess what they might use. 155.340 is a good choice if they're working with EMS officials on the ground. Others of the interop frequencies listed here are possibilities, depending on what band the local agencies use: South Carolina - SC Interop/Mutual Aid Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I would also assume that their on-scene communications would be something "local", simplex most likely, and that they would use something provided by the ANG. I don't know anything about monitoring SCANG, but I would assume it would be in the military UHF range 380-420MHz. I'm not aware of any specific frequencies ever being identified.

Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge can offer up.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thanks for that info. I was wondering if it was just me not being able to find anything. NC HART has 16 talkgroups on the VIPER system.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, I don't monitor VIPER regularly, but I'd be surprised if any of those talkgroups are used frequently either. Just because they're listed in the DB doesn't mean they're frequently active. On the other hand, the coastal area of NC might have more need for such a service given the frequency of damaging hurricanes. If you live in Western NC, you're probably not going to hear anything often.

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
I was in the Greenville-Spartanburg area in January 2019 and heard some traffic on TG 27871. A 2-151 AVN UH-72 and what I think was a UH-60 were using it to communicate with "GREENVILLE Ops" similar to how they would use a FM/VHF/UHF Ops frequency. I wasn't there but a day or so, so I'm not sure if it was something that they were doing during a training exercise or if it was something they were doing on a regular basis.

mrat1234

Does anyone know where I might find the radio system info for SC HART (Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team)? Thanks!
As Brian suggested they are apart of the SC Air national guard. They have about 9 talkgroups on palmetto 800 at the moment only 5 are in the database under National Guard. I am the one who submitted them. i mainly only hear 27871 which is McEntire ops which is mainly used at McEntire Joint National Guard Base in Hopkins in Richland county. They dont talk a lot so its hard to identify talkgroups but when they talk its easy because they always mention the name of the talkgroup they are on. when i listen to 27871 i always hear the controller say '10-4 on McEntire ops'. Last time i saw a National Guard unit for ops on Palmetto 800 they were useing Motorola xts5000's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.