SC230, BC95 or BC346XT ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepas

Gentlemen;
I am going to buy a new scanner to replace my 12 yr old SC 150 Sport Cat.
I basically use it for NASCAR and some local racing. My problem is that the SC230
seems to be an older model but has close call pickup and is programable. The BC95 has many of the same features and is newer.
The BC346XT seems to be the newest and is also programable and has close call to pickup the frequencies at the races.
My question is which is best for my type of use, I may get to a NASCAR race a year and local racing.
PS, The BC95 and BCXT are much more available in Canada.
TKS for your help and opinions
Nepas

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. For simplicity, the BC95XLT is a good choice. It has banks, so it is easier to program. In that regard, it is the same as your sport cat. The 230 and 346 use DMA , which have a steeper learning curve, and harder to program. An other good choice is the BC125AT It has ALL the bells and whistles of the 346(including close call) but has banks as well. If it is not available in CAN, you can always order from
http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BC125AT_Police_Scanner_Radio_p/10-501770.htm

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

the bc346xt is the best of the lot. however, if you don't need 800 mhz. or trunking, take a look at the bc125at. very inexpensive. has a boat load of features, for the price. also it will be the only one in that group to cover milair. if that is important to you.

nepas

Can the BC346XT be programmed at the track like the SC230?
Is the SC230 actually an older model?
I would like to possibly move up to other scanning, is there trunking used in NB, NS and PEI ?
I don't mind learning about programing as I have also frigged around with POI on my GPS, as long as I can get things straightened out at the track.
Thanks for your fast reply, I am trying to figure things out so I get a good scanner (maybe a little better than I need) so I can play around between races and find other uses for it.
I may have other questions as I am not always on my scanner.
TKS again,
Nepas

captclint

Mentor
Can the BC346XT be programmed at the track like the SC230?
I am not sure, but I don't see why not since they are both DMA. Hopefully, a racing fan will answer. If not you can ask here: sports-recreational-events Here is a thread of interest which would apply to any DMA scanner. http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/212358-best-way-setup-bc346xt-racing.html

The important thing is that you would have to assign quick keys to your non-racing stuff so you could lock them out at the track. This is like locking out banks on your present scanner. Hopefully, the track would be careful not to wipe out non-racing folders(systems). With the right software, this is not usually any problem. If you do get a DMA based scanner, I would recommend you get software so you can back up your stuff, and make the learning curve a lot easier. There is a good freeware program, FreeScan.

Is the SC230 actually an older model?
Yes, 2004. However, a very good scanner. It was my only portable for many years until it died, and I am a real scanner nut.

I would like to possibly move up to other scanning, is there trunking used in NB, NS and PEI ?
OK, good to know. You need to identify your county and any surrounding ones of interest for me to answer, but your best bet is to go to the Canadian Forum and ask what would be needed for the Provinces and counties of interest. I suspect you will need digital, but most certainly analog trunking. You can poke around here, Canada Database and see if there are trunking systems(always listed at the very bottom of each county). There is no quick way to see which ones are digital, so another good reason to head over to the Canadian forum.

Last edited:

nepas

Thanks for the excellent info, I hope , as you said a race nut will see the thread and add some more info but you have given me a direction to go in and get some other questions answered by other groups.
TKS again for your speedy replies.
Nepas

Status
Not open for further replies.