ScamDaBands Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just wanted to provide everyone an update on the situtation with "ScamDaBands"....

Nothing has developed other than Paypal tells me that can't help since there is no money in his account so I am just out of luck. Since I, and others paid with their bank accounts there is no way to ever recover the money. Hopefully other who got taken through Paypal paid with their CC.

Something came to me....If paypal doesn't recover the money from him they keep the fee related to the transaction. Doesn't give them much incentive to recover the money does it? Almost sounds like they are an accessory to the crime. I know that really no the case, but is just adds insult to injury.

I know Tom has a lot of friends in here so this is all I'll say on the subject.

The End!

westsdad

ScamDaBands / PayPal

Just got the canned response from PayPal below and I am out the $700 that I sent to ScanDaBands on 6/10/08.

Never received the two BCD996T's nor a response back from ScanDaBands / Tom after sending numerous emails and PM's to him at several different accounts (RadioReference, PayPal, RoadRunner, and two different MySpace accounts). PayPal never received a response from ScanDaBands / Tom during both the dispute and the claim process.

After experiencing this, I don't feel "safe" using PayPal and agree with Bob that PayPal is not doing the right thing -- especially since they are keeping the fees and profiting from this and any other fraudulent transactions.

I have spoken with my bank and they have stated to send them all of the info and email trails, and that they will place a claim with PayPal. I'll post the results of that effort, but I don't expect anything more than another canned response like the one below.

Buyer beware of both ScanDaBands (if he ever resurfaces) and any transactions using PayPal. You're not safe in either instance.

PayPal said:
After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account.

Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to take action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and that it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Now its time to say screw paypal, Contact your local police with what you have and all the documentation. Then contact his police, sheriff or states attorney and make a report. He cleaned out his paypal for that reason.

Paypal has about as much chance of getting you you money back as a snowball in hell.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
and this would accomplish...?

It would accomplish nothing, but i also feel your pain on losing a good amount of money.
As stated, i would contact the Local DA in his town and the local police and try to file a fraud and theft report, i beleive it falls under credit card fraud, and if you sent money via mail, then that is mail fraud, and the US postal service and Postal police will get involved.
Also, if you sent him equipment for trade, than that falls under mail theft, and ect,

So i would contact the your local police/detectives as well as the US Postal Service and start by filing the right forms for investigation into this matter.

Good luck

lugoffman

It would accomplish nothing, but i also feel your pain on losing a good amount of money.
As stated, i would contact the Local DA in his town and the local police and try to file a fraud and theft report, i beleive it falls under credit card fraud, and if you sent money via mail, then that is mail fraud, and the US postal service and Postal police will get involved.
Also, if you sent him equipment for trade, than that falls under mail theft, and ect,

So i would contact the your local police/detectives as well as the US Postal Service and start by filing the right forms for investigation into this matter.

Good luck
Isn't there a internet fraud sight you could also go to on this couldn't they do somthing about this??

And Lindsay I know that alot of guys get banned on here do you band there ip address as well to keep them from making up another user name and doing this again ???

SCPD

QRT
For those of you still looking for ScanDaBands, it looks like he has an updated MySpace account: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=226749044 and he last logged on yesterday.

Amazing....this person has screwed many of us out of hundreds, and possibly thousands of dollars and he's still going about his life smiling like he's done nothing. I can't believe the local PD won't do anything to help catch this guy.

Some how some way I fell he'll get what he deserves in the end.

1alpha

Banned
What can be done? What if his name and all was ID fraud? What about his IP address have you ever heard of WIFI? All his listed info on Paypal was problay made up. Chance are the police dont have the time for tracking someone like this down. Maybe if he was trying to pick up 12yr olds they would be more into catching this guy.

Grog

Banned
What can be done? What if his name and all was ID fraud? What about his IP address have you ever heard of WIFI? All his listed info on Paypal was problay made up. Chance are the police dont have the time for tracking someone like this down. Maybe if he was trying to pick up 12yr olds they would be more into catching this guy.

You just showed up and know nothing about any of his dealings on here, so you really should just sit back.

Some of us knew him, where he worked (not just who he worked for, but I was in the shop he worked at many times over the years).

lugoffman

GUYS ... I dont know if this will help you any but all this time he has been a friend of mine on myspace.
And I did not know that he was the one who got over on some of you ,but I can tell you this his wife has passed at least that was what I was told by him , and he has not been the same ever since I talk to his daughter somtimes and she leaves me some love somtimes on myspace and she tells me he is taking it very , vary hard it has been a while since he has spoken to me on myspace now since who ever posted this , posted this I now know who you guys are talking about and I am sure he will make it up to you guys I really hope cause what time I did know him he was really a cool guy but I really never knew he was on radio reference. Heck if I did I would of spoken of this a long time ago plus may have been in your guys shoes. Well I will send him a message tonight to see how he is doing I will work my way up to see if he will pay you guys back for what he has done also to see what his intent was. But it may take some time if he doesn't block me.

This is pretty wrong of him to go this long with out contacting or sending anyones money or product back
I know a loss of a family member is hard but you got to griev and go on , it is easier said then done thoughts and prayers to him and his family. And to the ones who lost money in the deal .............................

hoser147

I dealt with him just prior to this, he offered the same scanners to me. Glad I was kinda strapped at the time or I would have been in it too. Just an FYI, I have a Myspace and several people on here are "friends on there too" Im lucky if I even check Myspace every few months, I was going thru the people on the freinds list and low and behold he was in there. It was the 28th of August. he had been on there. So I would bet he still visits this site also using a different IP address. His page makes reference to Finding God. He is going to wish he did when someone gets hold of him. Sometimes the Wheels of justice turn slowly. I hope that he gets his just due in this one way or another. Just an Idea you can post on his myspace, but he can delete it, but if you post bulletins there is not much he can do about that, It may be worth a little time to post bulletins on there letting all that know him just what he has done. I hope that one day you all can recoup the funds you have lost. Best of Luck Hoser

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
and this would accomplish...?

satisfaction and while your there, take back your money that he probably has left all over his house
and then go to the fridge and eat some of his food while hes on the ground knocked out
then leave

MOTOROLANUT

scamdabands

He PM'd me early this year, offering to sell me bootleg copies of motorola rss and cps which I declined.
The loss of a family member or a loved one is a terrible ordeal to go thru. BUT IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO COMMIT CRIMES.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
I've followed this thread for awhile now. Has anyone filed complaints with the US Postal Inspectors, Local Police & possibly FBI since it crossed state lines?? Has anyone been local enough to drive to his home and confront him?? If so what has the response been??

This is truely a sad situation that a fellow hobbist for so long would turn on others in such a way..

I know if it was me, I would have no problem showing up at his door if I had been taken!

Grog

Banned
I've followed this thread for awhile now. Has anyone filed complaints with the US Postal Inspectors, Local Police & possibly FBI since it crossed state lines?? Has anyone been local enough to drive to his home and confront him?? If so what has the response been??

I think he prefered paypal, and you see what good that does people. As far as the FBI, they can barely be bothered to show up at a bank robbery (close to a large field office) so I would bet they would hang up pretty fast on this case.

I know what I would have done, but I am only 250 miles away and have that sort of free time.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I know what I would have done, but I am only 250 miles away and have that sort of free time.

good why dont you go over there and spend a little time with your *new friend* and get to know him!!
i love when things like these "work themselves out" without the police!!

Status
Not open for further replies.