Scan Hold, Nothing Stored!

Status
Not open for further replies.

9LZ5

Premium Subscriber
New (Xmas) SDS200 making me crazy trying to scan Talk Groups in Favorites Lists. TGs scan normally in the Full Database. Using Sentinel (target SDS200), I've been at this a good part of the day.

Called Uniden Tech Support (2nd call about this) today and was told to look for an unintentional 'Avoid' somewhere. The scanner will scan Conventional freqs in a Favorites List.

Anyway, I did a 'Clear User Data. . .' and got a warning everything would be wiped, but I've seen that before with Clear User. I have done 'Force Write Full Database' several times.

Long story short, the two Favorites Lists I have will load. BUT, the Full Database will not and the display reads 'Scan Hold, Nothing Stored!'.

I'm thinkin' reprogram the card, but not sure of the steps for that. I'm hopin' I didn't brick this thing.

9LZ5

Premium Subscriber
Just did another force write, and now I'm getting 'Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan' with Full Database On.

Forgot to put in my first post that all the Service Types show ':---'. Same now with the Scan Mode . . . advisory.

---------------
5 minutes later: Okay, I just got a brainstorm: Location, Location, Location (as they say in real estate). The Full dB loaded nicely and the scanner is scanning. Service Types available. Whew! That Nothing Stored had me worried. Still got the FL problem with TGs, though.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The good news is that scanners won't be ruined with bad programming. You will find whatever is going on, is usually something minor, but it takes time to find it because of the numerous possibilities.

You may want to invest in a second SD card and program it, leaving it as a spare. That way if a bad hiccup happens you got something to use for recovery.

I wonder if all through the process, your location might have been changed. Re-enter your zip code, being sure to answer yes when asked if you want the full database on.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Talkgroups in trunked systems aren't scanned. Site frequencies are scanned. When the scanner hears a talkgroup mentioned in control channel data, it looks up the talkgroup info to display the data.

9LZ5

Premium Subscriber
Doctor, Ofd, jon, thank you for your replies.

- For others who may get the apparently rare 'Scan Hold! Nothing Stored!' advisory, I did Force Write Full Database 3x from Sentinel. That brought me back to . . .

- Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan. That was solved by entering the Location. (I had been getting my location from a DIY GPS module - with a nod to Mancow and others who provided ideas and SDS200 pinout on other threads here - and it was disconnected.) Service Types resolved with no action on my part.

Since this thread applies to a big HELP! on my part and is now resolved, I'm gonna take the Favorites List Talk Groups problem to its own thread later today when I get to the cabin. Mods tend to frown on threads that morph into something else, right?

Again, thanks for your replies, suggestions, and help.

TTYL
Bucky

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Because the location was incorrect, there was nothing loaded in the scanner to scan. You select Service Types from the Service Types the scanner has loaded in its memory. Since nothing was loaded to scan, there were no Service Types to choose from.

9LZ5

Premium Subscriber
Jonathan, your post in my Scan Hold, Nothing Stored! thread did it when you said "TGs aren't scanned, SITES are".

We talked the other day about my problem with Favorites Lists. As you know, the NORTH CAROLINA VIPER system brings over at least a hundred sites with it. My mistake was either AVOIDing them all or cherry picking a few to get the SDS200 to scan my PAMLICO COUNTY Favs List.

Based upon what you said in the other thread, I looked through the sites for a town nearby and there was 'Bayboro', the county seat. Cleared Bayboro's AVOID and now I'm scanning like an old pro. There's no stoppin' me now! LOL

You were right; it was an AVOID that needed to be cleared.

Thanks a bunch, Jonathan!

Bucky

Status
Not open for further replies.