Status
Not open for further replies.

ernestowalls1

I just recently purchased a Uniden SDS100. I have added custom scan lists on P25 and analog channels. My problem is there is 50+ sites for the local statewide P25 system. I currently have a local scan list with just the tower thats in my county but whenever I am traveling I have to re-enable the full scan list with all sites. The problem is I miss alot of traffic due to it scanning sites that are not in range. Is there a way to do location scanning with the towers and sites? Also, is there a way to lock it on a specific tower whenever I am getting a strong signal? I have found how to lock it on a specific channel or dept but it still scans through all of the towers.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I am new to this and appreciate the help getting setup properly so that I can successfully scan while on road trips across the state without missing a bunch of traffic.

Thanks,
ewalls1

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The problem is I miss alot of traffic due to it scanning sites that are not in range. Is there a way to do location scanning with the towers and sites? Also, is there a way to lock it on a specific tower whenever I am getting a strong signal? I have found how to lock it on a specific channel or dept but it still scans through all of the towers.
Turn Location Control ON in your favorite list, and the scanner will only scan local sites. FUNC, then the middle softkey, will hold on a site.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Nowadays, we are getting very 'green' posters here, so pardon my asking....

You do know that one of the extremely useful features of Uniden scanners is that the do GPS based scanning, correct?
To me, it is one of the primary reasons to own a 436/536 or 100/200.

After alot of work (rectangles for each dept and correcting erroneous RR's site GPS coordinates), when I drive around 2 states, I am able to monitor all state/county/local/tribal wherever I am at - automatically.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suggest researching quick keys with emphasis on Department/Site Quick Keys. When visiting Minnesota, which has a similar system with a lot more sites, I assign sites in/near the areas I staying in to their own Department Quick Keys. All the other area sites are assigned a different one, as in many, many sites on a single Department Quick Key.

That way I can turn on/off specific sites for the area I'm in. For example, they have Minneapolis site, a Hennepin County site, a state site as well as each county adjacent to Minneapolis, which is where I stay. Even using a tight location based scanning still gives me a lot of sites to monitor and missing out on traffic on other sites. So this method allows me to drill down even more tightly than just location based scanning.

jdeez1

I guess I was not in search of a hardware setup as much as a software setup. I understand that my range should be set to "0". However, when making a favorite list, (specifically Illinois state police starcom 21) should I include every tower in my list? Then is there an additional setting to make the gps use only the closest? Is it all automatic? If I dont include all towers (sites) and only use my local one will I drive out of range and the gps 2ill not be able to auto locate? Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The only setting you need to change is turning on Location Control in the favorite list options. From there everything is automatic. You can include every site in the system, and only nearby ones will be scanned.

Auto locate has nothing to do with GPS. If you have a GPS, there's no reason to ever use it.

ernestowalls1

The only setting you need to change is turning on Location Control in the favorite list options. From there everything is automatic. You can include every site in the system, and only nearby ones will be scanned.

Auto locate has nothing to do with GPS. If you have a GPS, there's no reason to ever use it.

Thank you very much Jonathan, you answered both of my questions without giving me any grief. I have been using the function key to site lock and I will try out the location control as soon as I get a chance.

Much appreciation!

ernestowalls1

I have a gps ordered for my sds100 and plan to use it in the vehicle on trips. I enabled location control on my custom scan list and it works great when I use zip code. Is there anything else I need to enable or change for the gps to work or do I just need to plug it in?
Thanks

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I have a gps ordered for my sds100 and plan to use it in the vehicle on trips. I enabled location control on my custom scan list and it works great when I use zip code. Is there anything else I need to enable or change for the gps to work or do I just need to plug it in?
Thanks

Now, look into building rectangles for the various locations/systems/departments you want to listen to.

Default is circles, which work good for the sites themselves, because of the way RF propagates (omni-directional)
But for the jurisdictions, rectangles are the way to go - (state/county/city borders are not round).

Done properly, you can have a set up where the radio switches when you cross over into another jurisdiction (range=0) - very slick.
It takes some work, but WELL worth the effort.

Ubbe

I've lernt that the scanner programming and monitor software ProScan have a feature where you click and drag the circle or rectangle on a map to adjust the settings that are loaded in the scanner to exactly match if you want talk groups to be heard only within certain areas, like a county, or the range of a site, but that mostly depends on antenna and hight above ground and obstacles that block radio waves and so on.

/Ubbe

ernestowalls1

One more question, I have talkgroups added in my scanlist but how do I scan for none programmed talkgroups? I found documentation online that says to enable Trunked Search on the trunked systems favorites list. I do not see this option in my scan list settings. Is it labeled ID:Search?

Thanks

maus92

Premium Subscriber
One more question, I have talkgroups added in my scanlist but how do I scan for none programmed talkgroups? I found documentation online that says to enable Trunked Search on the trunked systems favorites list. I do not see this option in my scan list settings. Is it labeled ID:Search?

Thanks
ID Search will play any active TG on the programmed system that is not locked out. The TGs that have been labelled will show the label when they are active; TGs that have not been labelled will show the TG ID when active.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's in the system settings, not the favorite list settings. Click on the system in the Favorite List editor, then the Options tab at the top of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.