Scan with Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Currently on my SDS200, I have favorite lists scanning Trunked P25 systems, the bulk of my listening interests.
Wanting to expand my listening horizons, I've been wanting to also include searching.
On the radio menu, I see an option to "Search with Scan" under the "Search for" menu.

To me, this sounds as if it is feasible to scan my favorite lists while at the same time, searching my custom search bands.

Is this possible?

How can I bring my custom search bands into regular favorite list scanning?

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
How do I go about it?
When I hit menu...I see "Srch/CloCall Opt" and "Search for"...
If I go with "Search for" and click on "Search with Scan", I'm then presented with "Set System Avoid".

When I click that, it just shows Stop, Temporary and Permanent Avoid.
No matter which Avoid I use, doesn't seem to present any system to avoid?

TexTAC

Enable it by going to “Set Scan Selection” then “Select Lists to Monitor” then turn “Search with Scan” on.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
That did it thanks. However, it scans of all Custom search lists. I want it to search only the ones I've a specific frequency search range.

I.E., I've set up 4 Custom Search ranges. But, doing what you stated above, the scanner will search the others I have no interest on.

Not seeing an option to avoid the extraneous search ranges I have no interest in.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Think I found it, correct me if I'm wrong or if there's a better way thru the menus, but, whenever the scanner lands on a generic custom search band I don't want it to scan, I had to hit the system key, then the avoid key,

TexTAC

Go to “Search for” then “Edit Custom” then for each of the 10 custom searches select each one and then select “search with scan” and either “avoid” it or “stop avoiding” it as appropriate.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Go to “Search for” then “Edit Custom” then for each of the 10 custom searches select each one and then select “search with scan” and either “avoid” it or “stop avoiding” it as appropriate.
Ah, found it, great, many thanks!
Wish Uniden would get off their behinds and finally publish a comprehensive way to navigate their convoluted menu system.

TexTAC

That “easier to read sds100 user manual” on the internet is my best friend. Still convoluted, but actually contains a wealth of info.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
That “easier to read sds100 user manual” on the internet is my best friend. Still convoluted, but actually contains a wealth of info.
Oh, no doubt, still, needs work. My hat's off to Mark as well, he can only do so much without a good manual.
Been a Uniden user since the early 80's.
Love them but, their menu system, needs a lot of work.
And, I'm not alone in that claim.
Paul Opitz, is sorely missed.
Think Uniden's aim, was to get this new scanner into enthusiasts hands ASAP, without regards to a comprehensive manual.

Ubbe

Think Uniden's aim, was to get this new scanner into enthusiasts hands ASAP, without regards to a comprehensive manual.
It's been the same steps to operate the scanner since the release of the BCD436/536. So the manual have been around for 7 years and have nothing to do with the release of the SDS100. The few additions in the SDS series are the NAC codes and filters (to help fight interferencies and bleed over/mixing products) and the more detailed display. Everything else are the same in 436/536/100/200.

These scanners are complicated to operate as they have so many features but then you probably haven't used Whistlers TRX scanners menu system which are not as logical laid out as Unidens.

Best approach are probably to read the whole manual before using the scanner and then after some hours of use you reread every word in the manual again as you by then have begun to understand how the scanner works and it will be easier to understand the complex instructions in the user manual.

Apply human logical thinking to how the scanner works. It's not a magical box. Can it do other things while it scans? No, it has to stop scanning and do that other thing. Does it magicly know what to search? No, you have to specify frequency ranges and which of the ranges, if not all, that it should search and all other data needed to perform a search. Think of it as you manually would have to operate the scanner and it probably is easier to see what info the scanner needs.

/Ubbe

sparkydude

That's been a problem on these forums. Someone ask for help for a specific issue and instead of offering something useful, that could actually answer his question, he's referred to 'here's the manual' look it up. Read the manual cover to cover twice, before using the scanner ! Really ?
Fortunately, others have offered useful information the poster can actually use.

Status
Not open for further replies.