ScanAntenna and 800MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbeck41

I just recently purchesed the ScanAntenna from antennawharehouse. I have it mounted 20 feet in the air with 50 feet of RG6 cable striaght to my BCD396T. Doesn't seem to pick up 800MHZ freqs very good. Trying to monitor AR State Police Digital system. Will stop on freq but will not do anything. Any sugestions? I was also wondering, I know they make a BNC T Connector, how would that work if I had a seperate antenna for 800MHZ. I would have 2 antennas going into radio. What about a inline amplifier? Greg.

safetyobc

I also have the Scantenna. I use it mainly for VHF-High but it's not a good 800 MHz antenna.

I would suggest getting an 800 MHz Yagi. That way you could point it at the tower you are trying to monitor. Also with the Yagi you'll need some good low loss coax, like LMR 400 or better. The higher you go with the antenna the better, however, if you go too high then your coax signal loss will be greater. It is a balancing act.

Wilson Yagi is a good antenna (so I have heard)

The preamp might help you a little. GRE America sells one, scroll to the bottom of the page linked.

As far as 2 antennas into one port. That isn't going to do to well I don't think. Just my opinion though.

matt.

gbeck41

Matt,
Thanks Matt, that sounds like a great idea! Now I wish I had never bought the ScanAntenna, lol. Well trial and error. Guess I can use it on my other scanners! Greg

safetyobc

It works very well on VHF-Low and VHF-High. Being close to MO, you can use it on MO Hwy Patrol as you were talking about on the Yahoo Group.

Good luck. Keep me updated if you get the Yagi.

BTW, The better the coax, the better the signal strength you'll get.

matt

safetyobc

Also be aware that the Scantenna is somewhat directional. Point the antenna in the direction you are most interested in. It won't just open up the band in that direction, but it will definately help a little.

I have mine pointed to the SW. If I move it, even 5 or 10 degrees, the signal I could hear from an agency is almost totally lost.

matt

LarrySC

I dont normally use a scantenna but I have one for testing. I plan to install an 800 mHz loop across the ant connectors. I hope to get this done by Wed PM. In the past I've installed a Yagi to a splitter and connected it to the "F" end of the balun. Worked better than I expected. Did NoT have to run another coax. Stand-by for report on loop.

ronmicha

Scantenna Omni-Directonal

I just bought the Scantenna from Antenna Warehouse but haven't installed it yet. Bought it because it's advertised as "omni-directional" and "multi-band", "30-1300mhz". Now, Matt tells me it's "somewhat directional"---I guess I'll keep it but now I'm wondering what to expect. Since the Memphis MPD signal is so strong I'm hoping I'll have good results anyway. I'm hoping the Scantenna will help me with all the out of town stuff on VHF Hi and UHF. Guess I'll see. I'm going to put it outside on a 10 or 15-foot mast.
Thanks.
Ron

RISC777

gbeck41, I've got an ST2 up and I haven't experienced it to be all that 'directional.' Obviously it may work that way for others, I won't dispute or nay say that. With a BCD396T and the Scantenna I can pick up four towers with all five signal bars all the time. And I've even got about 15 extra feet I'll be cutting off of the 50 foot cable it shipped with. When I first put it up I hadn't seen any comments about experiences with it having some 'directionality' to it (if I just made up that word, so be it) so I didn't bother with which way it was facing or pointed. Since you've got it up, loosen the mast and turn it some to see if that changes your reception (or not). And if it were me I'd take the opportunity to go back through my system setups in the radio to see what's what and what's not, looking for anything that might have been missed or could be changed.

blueline_308

My experience with the Scantenna from Antenna Warehouse is similar to RISC777. I wouldn't describe it as being 'directional', but it does favor the direction opposite of the mast, but just slightly. It's not directional like a Yagi Uda or a Log Periodic would be. Any antenna, when mounted to one side of a metal mast, will exhibit some degree of favoritism. I like mine and the newer design, which I have, has proven sturdy.

Jim

safetyobc

blueline_308 said:
My experience with the Scantenna from Antenna Warehouse is similar to RISC777. I wouldn't describe it as being 'directional', but it does favor the direction opposite of the mast, but just slightly. It's not directional like a Yagi Uda or a Log Periodic would be. Any antenna, when mounted to one side of a metal mast, will exhibit some degree of favoritism. I like mine and the newer design, which I have, has proven sturdy.

Jim

This is what I was trying to say. It favors the opposite side of the mast.

Al42

Connect a piece of stiff wire, about 5" long, to a clip (aligator clip is fine). Clip the clip to the scantenna, near the base of one of the elements. Cut the wire so that the tip of the wire is just about 3-1/2" from the Scantenna rod. See if that improves 850 MHz reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.