ScanAtlanta Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Try searching this under Facebook.... Georgia Scanner communications monitors

N8IAA

Why not also have a Scan Atlanta ham radio net?
I'm just thinking out loud here.

I've suggested it years ago. We used to have ScanIn's all over the metro area until /\/\Ik.e went back to work. Lots of hams that are part of the ScanAtlanta group. Lots that are GMRS too. At one time we were supposed to be able to use one of the TV station repeaters. We got callsigns and could actually call in traffic conditions. That died out quite awhile ago. Then there was talk about getting on a LTR system. That never went anywhere.
You want to start it up rapidcharger, I'll be happy to jump on board.
But, you won't hear /\/\Ik.e on there.
Larry

CapStar362

being some of those Scan In's were at KPDK i know you guys said that, i flew from KPDK with CAP . ive probably seen you guys in tail winds and didnt even realize it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Scan Atlanta, Scan America...those were the "golden days". Remember before all the online streaming and P25 encryption race to waste, you could listen to ANYTHING in metro Atlanta/North Georgia?

Remember forums of HELPFUL, THANKFUL people who weren't nasty or posting trolling garbage?

Remember those fun trips to WGCL and Cobb 911?

Well, relish in those memories because those are truly days gone by.

(And now, here's a great forgotten hit that sums it up well!
America - Nothing's So Far Away (As Yesterday) - YouTube )

N8IAA

Scan Atlanta, Scan America...those were the "golden days". Remember before all the online streaming and P25 encryption race to waste, you could listen to ANYTHING in metro Atlanta/North Georgia?

Remember forums of HELPFUL, THANKFUL people who weren't nasty or posting trolling garbage?

Remember those fun trips to WGCL and Cobb 911?

Well, relish in those memories because those are truly days gone by.

(And now, here's a great forgotten hit that sums it up well!
America - Nothing's So Far Away (As Yesterday) - YouTube )

Amen to that Erik.
Larry

rapidcharger

You want to start it up rapidcharger, I'll be happy to jump on board.
But, you won't hear /\/\Ik.e on there.
Larry

If there are others who think its a good idea, including /\/\ike, I will discuss it with the higher ups of our organization and see what they think about having such a net on the RAVwin network. I can't help with doing it on GMRS or a trunking system but if someone's got a ham license, there is a 99.9% chance RAVwin is accessible to them one way or another.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I like the idea. I am not sure how you would get everyone on the air. I am currently not licensed for ham, but soon will be. So I have to ask the question then: Other then developing friendships, what can we accomplish with audio (verbal), that we can't accomplish with a forum, yahoo group and FB page? It would be something fun to do, don't get me wrong. Would there be enough information to keep people interested?

Perhaps we can start out with a program that is internet based that doesn't require a license. Perhaps Skype or similar. This would also allow you to see/hear who is online and grant permission where necessary. We could outline it much like a net. Check-Ins, news, questions, tech talk. Once a month would seem like a nice meeting frequency (pun) as not much changes with scanner topics.

More feedback would be nice. Perhaps we can throw this on the FB page and Group page as well.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
when youall think about doing it ill make sure too get whatever i need too jion in be nice thing i dont have my ham lic. yet eather gonna try getting that done soon but sounds like aplan too me

rapidcharger

It was explained by someone else (over the air, I might add) what used to be in place and it sounds very cool actually. He also told me why a net was unlikely to ever happen in the Amateur Radio Service.

I will however say this. Don't get your ham license just in the event nets are held. Because not a day goes by where we don't discuss a lot of this same stuff on the radio. We talk about this forum, and the people on it a lot!, we talk about public agencies and their radio systems, we talk about race-to-waste radio systems a lot, we talk about cops a lot, we talk about ems a lot, we talk about radios including scanners alllll the time, we talk about what is going on in real time as it happens due to a couple of people who have their ears glued to their radios/scanners 24/7.

So as it becomes more and more challenging to listen to certain things or those things become unmonitorable, and you're considering taking up knitting to fill your spare time, you might spin the dial and see what's going on in the local VHF/UHF ham bands. You might just want to join the conversation.

Other then developing friendships, what can we accomplish with audio (verbal), that we can't accomplish with a forum, yahoo group and FB page?
Other than developing friendships? Isn't developing friendships enough of a reason? It's not so easy to do that anymore now that people have basically become shut-ins that are always glued to a computer screen or mobile device and nobody talks to one another. Yet another subject we discuss on the air very often. I'm not suggesting to compete with the online offerings. I'm just having a hard time remembering my life before ham radio.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I am still here and alive! I would love for us to have another NETwork, but I don't think cost would work. I'm on radio 12 hours a day at MetroAtlanta Ambulance Service, but you, fortunately or unfortunately, unless you can break SoLinc, I don't think you will hear me. We also are on the Cobb P25 DTRS as well as Clark Ambulance's NXDN (we bought up Clark a while ago) and the Paulding TRBO system (We respond on their FD channel).

I'm up on .625 on the North Georgia GMRS system, but only for a short time when I am too & from work.

We are going to have to do another DownWind at PDK again soon. I miss seeing everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.