Scancat Gold SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I use this software with AOR 8200 / 8600 and a BC796D. I think for the money this software can't be beat. Blows away the Butel software for the 8600. Logging and spectrum analysis aspects of this software are not for the faint of heart. Not plug and play for sure, but that is half the fun. Anyone else have success with this program? I see lots of bashing in the archives.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sc(...)

Perhaps you've had good luck using that program with your Unidens, but it DOES NOT WORK when programming the GRE scanners I have or have tried it on. There are several threads here regarding ScanCat(...) and the basic consensus is: if there is NO OTHER program to program your scanner, program it manually. Otherwise get the other program and avoid SC light the Swine Flu.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Er...he's talking about Gold SE, gmclam - although I completely concur re Scanxxxx Heavy Less (hi) - in any case, to me, that program is ancient architecture. I tried it once; didn't like anything about it - very clumsy to work with. The 8200 and 8600 are pretty old AOR receivers, but there are other programs for them, and for the 796D, I'd think ProScan is a better choice in terms of things it can do.

To me spectrum analyzers in scanner programs are nothing more than glitzy candy - put something like that against a good stand alone analyzer and you'll see the difference immediately. At least for me, it's less than useless.

73 Mike

mobile1

Scancat Gold SE is a DOG.

They do not offer free updates or bug fixes that I can download. So I have no love for it and never use it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack used to use Scancat light to program scanners in their stores...need I say anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.