Scancat-Lite-Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

railroadertwo

What are the thoughts on this software? I ask because one of the folks here has a signature that states "friends don't let friends buy Scancat-Lite-Plus. Thanks KCØWNY

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be me. SCL is infamous for screwing up people's radios - in part, because RS managers (where the software was being pushed at the time) didn't have much of a clue as to how to use it properly. It's poorly tested and doesn't do a real good job of supporting all the radios it says it does.

I wrote a review on an early version of this software for the now-defunct Strong Signals website - and all you need to do is do a search on the RS and Uniden forums - you'll eventually come up with folks with problems.

The fact is, with only a very few exceptions, there are much better alternatives out there for almost every radio. Insofar as SCL is concerned, it's not much of a loss....

By the way, don't bold your messages...best regards...Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Scl

I've never found a reason to use ScanCat (any version). The software really is junk. If there is other software available for your scanner model, use it. If there is no other software for your scanner, you are far better off to program the scanner by hand.

I did some extensive testing a couple of years ago and posted a report here on RR. What was on the SCL display is not what got programmed into the scanner. There were some aspects that required reinitializing the scanner and then programming it properly via other means.

railroadertwo

Scan-Lite Plus

Ok, the Jury is in, Scan-Lite Pro is out. I was just curious, I have PSREdit500, for my RS Pro-197, but don't like the idea of having to purchase software for every make and model of scanner. While I have some scanners that software wouldn't help much, I have some that it would, with the changing times, I will most likely have to upgrade my scanners anyhow. Thanks for the Replies. KCØWNY

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It very much depends on what other scanner(s) you have besides the 197. There are a few packages out there that supports multiple scanners and does it very well - FreeScan (which is freeware) and ProScan being just 2 examples.

Unfortunately the only one that supports the OO scanners along with the Unidens has been out of development and support for some time - Scan Control. A shame, really, as it had a pretty fair user base and there was always a LOT of room for developing that software into something more modern (starting with the interface which always irked me - it was fine for the Win98 days, but not so much now...)

Mike

al95

I have older scanners that only scan=lite plus is able to program. I think it is my Pro-94 with 1000 banks. That is the only scanner I program with scan lite plus, for all others I pruchase the keys or use the free downloads.

railroadertwo

Scan-Lite Plus

One of the scanners I would like to have software for is a Radioshack Pro-2051, but I can program it manually if need be, just would be easier but I am not willing to spend money for software for it Thanks KCØWNY

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have older scanners that only scan=lite plus is able to program. I think it is my Pro-94 with 1000 banks. That is the only scanner I program with scan lite plus, for all others I pruchase the keys or use the free downloads.

I see you're still using the UASD - it's way out of date and doesn't support the newer firmware nor does it support rebanding. When/if that becomes an issue for you, you might want to consider moving to FreeScan which can import UASD files, and is freeware...

Yes, the 94 is one of the very few that no one has coded any support except SCL. A shame, too, because the firmware is very similar to the old BC245 sans the ability for virtual control (the 94 can't, but the 245 certainly does). No doubt that if someone came along with a programming tool that used the web service, there would be a number of 94B owners who would be interested...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One of the scanners I would like to have software for is a Radioshack Pro-2051, but I can program it manually if need be, just would be easier but I am not willing to spend money for software for it Thanks KCØWNY

*Supposedly* SCL supports that radio; however I'd lay good money on ARC433 being a better choice. I wouldn't hold my breath...Mike

railroadertwo

Scan-Lite Plus

I downloaded the trial version of ARC433, but free trial has expired , but being retired I just can't see spending the money for software that will only work on that model, that is no doubt going to be obsolete in a short time. Anyway this discussion has pretty much served it's purpose, so I will consider it closed. Thanks to all that Replied. 73's KCØWNY

Status
Not open for further replies.