scaner antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

Get your self some 100% silicone base sealant and go around the top of the SO-239 so water can't migrate down through the connector and into your PL-259 and coax. Then once its cured your ready to go.

W2PMX

Since the antenna doesn't need any particular type of mounting, and it weighs almost nothing, it's your choice. UV-resistant PVC will probably last longer than you do, and it's pretty cheap. (My J-pole is about 15 years old and still looks new.) A 10 foot stainless pole thick enough to hold up? You don't want to know what it will cost, unless you find one in a junk yard or at a yard sale.

Receiver Antennas

I did and works very well, am receiving aprox a 30 mile radius as we live in a flat area. I also found out from an local ham radio nut, for this unit to receive only it does not need the 2 radius ground planes , these are only if you are going to be transmitting. I was able to get the connectors @ local Radio shack, and had the wire, nuts and bolts, so cost was minimal, if you had to buy it all aprox. $20.00 to build it, takes about an hour to put together. For an external mount i decided to put it inside a 3 ft piece of pvc pipe, and mounted it on my truck, wife says it looks stupid but works great for mobile app.

Status
Not open for further replies.