Scanner aboard boat

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
A disk image similar to a floppy disk used on an Apple II named after apples co-founder. LOL. I'm not an Apple guy at all anymore but that's all we used at work.

RichM

Kevin,

Glad to be of assistance. First decide what scanner programming software you want to try, I like Butel ARC536 software for Uniden USDS100 SDS100 SDS200 SDS500 SDS100E SDS200E SDS500E BCD536HP and BCD436HP scanners UBCD436HP UBCD536HP UBCD3600XLT Sentinel HomePatrol Home Patrol free demo software Uniden 436 536 HP. Read the “system requirements” for said software and then choose a computer that has those minimum specifications. Scanner software is not terribly demanding and you will have no problems using the bare minimum requirements. Google for factory refurbished with the specs you need and you‘ll find a world of good deals out there.

You will find it‘s not really as hard as it seems right now to program and organize, it just feels overwhelming at first. Good luck and have fun with it.

Rich

Scannernitwit

Kevin,

Glad to be of assistance. First decide what scanner programming software you want to try, I like Butel ARC536 software for Uniden USDS100 SDS100 SDS200 SDS500 SDS100E SDS200E SDS500E BCD536HP and BCD436HP scanners UBCD436HP UBCD536HP UBCD3600XLT Sentinel HomePatrol Home Patrol free demo software Uniden 436 536 HP. Read the “system requirements” for said software and then choose a computer that has those minimum specifications. Scanner software is not terribly demanding and you will have no problems using the bare minimum requirements. Google for factory refurbished with the specs you need and you‘ll find a world of good deals out there.

You will find it‘s not really as hard as it seems right now to program and organize, it just feels overwhelming at first. Good luck and have fun with it.

Rich
“system requirements” ... Yes that makes sense Rich. Thank you.
I have some colleagues that also understand the Windows world will see if they can come up with an inexpensive solution for me.
Today I was in Winthrop, MA next to Boston Harbor. I whittled down service types to local FD and PD only with a range of one mile.
Appeared to reduce traffic and noise clutter.

I'll let you and others on this thread how things are going.

Take care,
Kevin

peteymcsweety

Thank you Mr. Mmckenna. You have helped in the past and I appreciate your reply.

The overwhelming frequencies I listen to are basic UHF/VHF.

My listening habits are casual using basic VHF/UHF frequencies. When in Boston Harbor or vicinity I listen to local PD, and Fire and a few Harbor Masters. Buzzards Bay... same thing.
If the grandkids are aboard, we tune in to aircraft flying over our head landing at Logan. On longer trips I put into towns along the route and listen to the locals. (In Kingston, NY I listened to FD get called out to a fire alarm at my motel! That was cool.) Passing Long Island NY I listened to all kinds of stuff using the search mode. (worked okay +/-) Maine coast is near all VHF Fire and Police.
I like city to city and county wide channels. Near all are UHF and work fine on my 125AT.

I recognize I could use a new Scanner. The 100 and 200 would be great, but honestly, I believe they are overkill for me. Despite that, I keep thinking about the SDS 100.

Listening to Massachusetts State Police Marine, Environmental Police, and others that that have trunk systems would be “nice”, not necessary. However, I spend a significant amount of time on Massachusetts Dept. Conservation/Recreation lands and they are trunked.
Hence the HP2 and 436hp idea.

I have watched many YouTube videos, read manuals and read the RR comments about the various trunk capable radios. I can not grasp some of what I read. Especially, blocking and unblocking unwanted radio traffic and having “banks” of channels loaded for regions I travel.

My preference will be portable to avoid issues of power on the boat.
It is my intention to get a amplified waterproof speaker.

Lastly, you helped me a lot last year regarding a robust commercial radio for UHF Public Safety and GMRS. The Kenwood has been excellent and a beast. Loud and beaten on, I use it regularly when instructing. One possibility is if I decide to forgo listening to MA trunked systems I may have the Kenwood reprogramed for the various regions I cruise along.

Thanks again, take care.

PS: I have no idea how I sent the previous message with the many text boxes. My apologies.
Have you ever considered a unication g-4 or g-5 sounds great and probaly the best on market for simulcast

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685984908620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685984908620.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8

ecps92

Have you ever considered a unication g-4 or g-5 sounds great and probaly the best on market for simulcast
IT was not even suggested because he wants to listen to multiple different agencies who are on VHF, UHF, UHF-T, 700 and 800 with ONE Radio

Scannernitwit

Hello everyone.

Thank you Pete for your suggestion.

When my quest for purchasing a scanner began I reached out to Radio Reference and researched as best I could online.

My needs are very basic and my knowledge of scanner usage somewhat limited.

I read a lot about simulcast, I also frequently read about the complexity of modern scanners and that was a bit unnerving.

In the end I purchased the Uniden 436HP based on cost.
So far the radio is doing okay, but I still have difficulty listening to the agencies I want to hear.

I did read about Unification radios; I couldn’t figure out what they were and how the radio was used. My impression was that they are pagers of some sort, not scanners. A radio that would let me listen to the MA State Police, MA Dept. Conservation and my local PD/FD would cost over $700 and like the modern scanners, I will still struggle with learning how to use it.

Though I don’t fully understand the 436HP, it appears to be working. My next goal is to get a windows laptop or Mac/Windows software and learn how to program the radio the way I want it.

RR is an awesome resource and I truly appreciate all the help I have been given.

Thanks again.
Take care.
Kevin