Scanner advice for Medford PD, Fire, Etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdmedford

New to scanning. I live in Medford, Jackson Co. I would like to listen to all radio in area, mainly Medford PD, but also fire, air, etc. I don't know where to find information on the local radio here as far as if they are analog, digital, rebanded or whatever. If they are analog now, and will switch to digital (I am talking about Medford PD), can I use a digital scanner and still pick-up analog radio as well? Am I making sense, here? I guess what I'm trying to say is I would like a scanner that can receive all radio in my area. Any recommendations? Thanks.

DickH

New to scanning. I live in Medford, Jackson Co. I would like to listen to all radio in area, mainly Medford PD, but also fire, air, etc. I don't know where to find information on the local radio here as far as if they are analog, digital, rebanded or whatever. If they are analog now, and will switch to digital (I am talking about Medford PD), can I use a digital scanner and still pick-up analog radio as well? Am I making sense, here? I guess what I'm trying to say is I would like a scanner that can receive all radio in my area. Any recommendations? Thanks.

It looks like all of Jackson county uses conventional frequencies, no trunking or digital.
Since you are new to all this, buy a used scanner to get used to it, then later you can get something more complex if you need to.
Look in the database here for frequencies. Click "database" at the top of the page.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I think Medford actually went P25, there was another thread where someone mentioned it.

Yes, from what I've seen down there, you will need a digital scanner for Medford PD. They are the only ones right now that are digital in Jackson Co. that I've heard.
And yes you can use a digital scanner to pick up analog signals
Here is whats available Digital Scanners

It would be helpful if someone updated the database.

It shows it in the database, and has for a while.

Medford, City of

Medford Police also dispatches for Ashland Police, Ashland Fire, and SOU Public Safety.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
154.44500 KCX396 RM 146.2 PL MDFRDFD1 Fire Dispatch (Station 8100) FM Fire Dispatch
154.16000 KCX396 BM 100.0 PL MDFRDFD2 Fire Command FM Multi-Dispatch
156.21000 KYQ323 BM MDFRDPD1 Police Dispatch P25 Multi-Dispatch
156.09000 WPBM598 BM 031 DPL MDFRDPD2 Police Information FM Law Dispatch

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
It would be helpful if someone updated the database.

It would be helpful if someone put in a submission.

I don't check the forum all that often, and usually don't have enough time to make notes of what is seen/discussed/talked about.

The only way updates are guaranteed to make it into the database is if someone creates a database submission.(click Submit on the database page you wish to submit data for).

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I was passing through the Medford area a couple of months ago and Medford PD was mixed analog / P25 on both Ch 1 & 2 (293 NAC for both). Most of the mobile units & the dispatcher were using analog but a few units were using P25. So to listen properly I had to program Medford PD's freqs in my PRO 106 to squelch search so it would accept anything.

I haven't been back since so i don't know if they have fully switched over to P25 by now or not.

OutlawHoss

Premium Subscriber
Jax Co scanner info

From my experience, almost all agencies are analogue, or have an analogue component. My BCD396T picks up everything, but it is obvious digital capable, so I'm not sure. I don't ever see P25 for Medford PD; the only P25 locally is the DOJ-IWN and that is 99% encrypted and it's rare to catch a transmission to begin with. There are a few trunked systems, mainly Bear Creek and Rogue Valley Manor.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Just listened to the Jackson co. live audio feed for several minutes and most of the Meford PD (200) traffic was analog.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I am a little surprised that Medford is using P25 at all. With the way budgets are being shrunk in the rural counties this seems like an expense not many surrounding agencies could bear. Especially with the upcoming end of timber payments.

Counties Brace For The Worst As Timber Payments End · OPB News

One thing comes to mind -- perhaps Medford PD is partly using the P25 to "block out" meth-cooking tweakers from listening in to traffic with a cheap scanner. Or at least the newer P25 equipment makes piggybacking encryption a little easier. Or they want(ed) to be able to interface with the OWIN or DOJ IWIN setups, or future OSP P25 plans. Or... maybe a little of all of the above.

Either way, I don't foresee any fire or medical traffic going P25. There is no way the smaller departments can afford to jump on board with that unless they get sizable grants. Probably the biggest change has been merging the former Jackson County 9-1-1 center and Medford/Ashland 9-1-1 center into one, Emergency Communications of So. Oregon. Looks like their new dispatch center is out at the Medford Airport. Something else interesting is they have added an online CAD viewer with open incidents (similar Washington/Clackamas Co.):

ECSO CAD Incident Tracking System

Agencies we Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.