scanner advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl777

I'm new to scanning and want to buy a scanner that can cover the maxium range. I've noticed that many scanners do not go further than 900 mhz when there is an amateur range up to 1300 mhz so can anyone advise me on which one to buy and can you hear amateur tv audio on these scanners. Also should I consider handheld devices as well as base ? Could handheld get amateur tv. I've noticed many handhelds go up to 1300. Although as these are smaller units would they suffer from poor image rejection. Thanks.

ermin

I'm new to scanning and want to buy a scanner that can cover the maxium range. I've noticed that many scanners do not go further than 900 mhz when there is an amateur range up to 1300 mhz so can anyone advise me on which one to buy and can you hear amateur tv audio on these scanners. Also should I consider handheld devices as well as base ? Could handheld get amateur tv. I've noticed many handhelds go up to 1300. Although as these are smaller units would they suffer from poor image rejection. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the wonderful (and some times addictive) world of scanning. Not too much to listen to above 1 Ghz. Not sure about your area but there is 0 activity on the 1.2 Ghz amateur band around here. If your scanner does the 800/900 trunking and lower there should be plenty to listen to unless your way out in the country. Try the 2 meter (144 to 148Mhz) and 70cm (430 to 450 Mhz) Amateur bands. Once you get the hang of it try building a simple dipole (Google it. Plenty of info out there) and find some activity on the 10 meter (29 to 29.6 Mhz) and 6 meter (52 to 54 Mhz FM portion) Amateur bands and the VHF low (30 to 50 Mhz) bands.
If you find a bunch of Amateur activity in your area get your license and get on the air. I waited till 1993 to get my Tech license and have enjoyed the heck out of it ever since. Plenty of great people to talk to.No Amateur TV in my area but usually it is in the 70 cm band.
I have only used handheld scanners since the very early 80's. I live on the Southeast coast of Florida and never needed anything else. I listen to mine all over the place so and base type wouldn't do. My amateur equipment is all handheld also.

(OK. Dumb me. Just saw where your from. Please Google your UK Amateur bands and adjust my post as needed.)

Ermin

Status
Not open for further replies.