Scanner and ham radio sharing a discone - Possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xilix

Premium Subscriber
I have a brand new Discone wired back to my scanner on 100 feet of LMR-400. Working great. I am in the process of installing a 2-meter/450 ham transceiver (25 watts out max). I've tested the ham rig on the discone and it performs as well as I need it to. I'm in an urban area and this is used to hit local repeaters.

So I was wondering if there is a way to permanently share the Discone between the 2 radios without too much loss. Of course, I don't intend for the scanner to actually receive while the ham rig is transmitting, but if they could both receive at the same time, that would be perfect. Then, when the ham is keyed, it would somehow isolate the scanner so my ham RF doesn't go to it directly.

Is this even possible ?

Thanks,
KG6DOQ

Hit_Factor

Not really.

If you transmit you will toast the scanner and multicoupler.

If you are willing to hassle with sharing and switching get one of these

and

It will be cheaper and easier to have 2 antennas.

I would buy a regular ham dual band for the the transceiver and put the scanner on the discone.

Get this for the ham rig, VHF/UHF Base Vertical Antennas - Diamond Antenna X50A Dual-Band Base/Repeater Antennas - Antennas

Last edited:

xilix

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies - Kind of thought it wasn't possible but I was thinking (hoping) maybe I missed something and there was a way to do this I didn't know about.

Looking at the X50A, looks like it will do the job nicely for 2m/450.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the Ed Fong antenna for dual band operation. Inexpensive and works well. Mine has been up over 5 years and still shows good SWR.

CcSkyEye

Take a look at the Ed Fong antenna for dual band operation. Inexpensive and works well. Mine has been up over 5 years and still shows good SWR.

Agreed, I have two of these. One amateur band and one commercial band, both have been up going on 3 years with zero issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.