Scanner Antenna Amp or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I have a interesting question that i think will be right here..What is the difference between the EDA-2800 and the EDA-UG 2802.I currently have the EDA-2800 hooked up to my 4 scanners in my office right now and some frequencies work great and others do not. I am thinking i made a wrong purchase when i bought the EDA-2800 instead of EDA-UG 2802 but having a little trouble understanding what the difference is between them.I probably have overlooked a small detail somewhere that is much bigger than i thought...Any thoughts will be a great help...

jackj

slick97454,
After just a quick glance, it looks like the main difference between the two is that the EDA-UG 2802 has a return path. But these are cable drop amps designed to operate with a high signal input level. Depending on the amp design, they may not be able to amplify low level signals or the amount of amplification may vary with input level and/or frequency. It is also possible that they have notch filters tuned to eliminate any interference from public service / pager transmitters. You might have better results using an amplifier/splitter designed for off-the-air TV.

BillW1

Check out Stridberg Engineering (SE). MCA204A. I have the MCA204M 4 port with a pre-amp. Works great with the right antenna.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
I did read the title and description as there are several posts and topics about this same subject in the original section before it was moved i thought it would be ok to put another topic...I guess i was wrong

W2PMX

From a quick read, it would seem that the 2800 is a single port, the 2802 has a built-in 2-port splitter.

Your main problem, though, is probably that the amplifier is designed for a 0 to 10
dBmV input, and your antenna input is a couple of orders of magnitude (or more) weaker than that. You need an antenna amp, not a cable amp.

slick97454

Premium Subscriber
Alright Thank you all for the great advice i appreciate it.Also Attached is a pic of the radio station i have setup. It is a work in progress. Just setting everything up. Hope to add more toys to the collection when time and money permits it.

Attachments

• P11-14-11_23-23.jpg
    P11-14-11_23-23.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3,271
Status
Not open for further replies.