Scanner Antenna As TV Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4DHR

Sure. Depending on where you live, it may even be a better alternative to the old-style beam antenna. My 2m/440 base station antenna works great for picking up TV audio, I've just never bothered hooking it up to a TV.

ind224

scanner ant for TV

Generally speaking (and you proved it) scanner antennas work well for TV. They are broad banded.

Unfortunantely,the reverse is not always true. TV antennas
have a big null in the 100-160mhz or so range to help eliminate unwanted signals.

TV antenna>> the corner reflector for the UHF side should work well as an 800 meg antenna and channel 2 on the VHF side is 54 mhz very near the 6m band.

Are you using an ATSC tuner? If so, is this a high dollar in dash unit or are you TVing off an inverter? I want digital TV mobile to get the local digital radar during storm chasing.

btritch

I'll only have it temporarily unless I hook up a digital converter box.. What it is, I have a van that has a 13 inch TV installed in a console between the two front seats. I just have a small antenna on the top for the scanner...The antenna I am running off of on the van is the same kind I have on the truck, It's like this http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99040
and I didn't have a PL 259 to F or BNC to F connector. I just held it together and it worked great...Wonder if it would work as well with digital on an external antenna later on?
And no, It's not ATSC, It's NTSC or whichever the analog is...I'll only have it till Feb.. I'll have to experement with it and see...
Anyone see any problems?

KE7JFF

I just for fun hooked up my rooftop dual band antenna to my ATSC converter box and sure enough, got all the local digital stations in crystal clear as the pair of rabbit ears I have up.

Viper43

I found being in the sticks that my discone works better than the TV antenna both for normal off air TV and for digital through the converter box. I also get more digital channels off the discone than the regular TV antenna.

V

af5rn

Anybody have experience running a car mounted television off their scanner antenna? I need to put television in my vehicle, and have been dreading having to mount an ugly TV antenna for it.

N1BHH

When I moved into the place I am now, I set up my 2 meter 5/8 wave mag mount on my mini-fridge for a TV antenna. Works good for me, but I guess it pays to be withing 20 airline miles from all the Boston TV towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.