Scanner Antenna cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISC777

Do a "Search this Forum" on 'cable' :lol:
You'll get all kinds of input, thoughts, opinions, etc.

(But, yes, do stay away from RShack cable = my personal opinion)

Concrete1

If you are running a long length (50' or more), it becomes more important .
If you only need 20 feet to reach your antenna, the difference between RG-8/8x/213/9913
may not be worth the bother ...

LarrySC

I use RG-6 for all installations, mine and the media installations I do. Easy to use "F" connectors. No soldering. The scanner does not know 75 ohms from 50 ohms. It all works perfect.

jyams

RG6 for HF???

Can RG6 also be used for HF antennas such as a Windom with balun or a longwire with balun? When an antenna maker says use RG58 with their loop antenna, is it okay to substitue RG6 for the reasons you mentioned? You can see in my signature the HF radios I use. thanks.

gcgrotz

jyams:

Hallicrafters Eh? I'm jealous! I always wanted one of those Hammurlands with the clock.

Yes, RG6 will work on HF. The impedence variations on HF when you get away from a resonant antenna means most of the time your antenna and line will be mismatched anyway so it is better to have low loss cable when the SWR is high. Just don't worry about it. Clean, tight, weatherproof is more important.

Of course, if you're going to transmit then stick with 50 ohms or open wire with a tuner.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Rat Shack has carried several brands of "CB cable" and the Carroll RG-8U (actually RG-8AU polyfoam) is on a par with the top name brands. Strip a bit off the jacket and examine the braid, if it's tightly woven and covers the dielectric well it's good cable, cheap crap LOOKS like cheap crap.

RG-6U quad shield CATV cable is reasonably priced, easy two work with and has reasonable loss characteristics for relatively short runs, on a par with RG-8 except for the 75 ohm impedance. Like the man said, it doesn't really matter and 75 ohm cable is an ideal match for a center fed dipole which has a 75 ohm feedpoint impedance, not 50 ohms as some may think. Off center fed antennas such as the Carolina Windom, Zepp and Bazooka may vary slightly but they're best fed with open wire "ladder line" rather than coax and a balun.

Any coax discussion can go on indefinately and repeat ad nauseum and here especially they often do. If all the duplication were removed from the archives Lindsay could eliminate a lot of servers and hard drives and maybe you guys would learn how to read. (;->)

Oh Jng, the word "so" went missing from your tag line. Did you drop it while running from the cops when you stole it? (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.