Scanner antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I live in a very deed restricted following the rules type of sub division I did speak with some of the neighbors they said go for it as long I don't go over board and etc. My question I plan on putting up a scanner antenna which will be the DPD Productions 118-1000mhz Scanner LP antenna and a Rohn H50 Telescopic antenna mast or the galvanized version. I heard alot of great reviews about the DPD Productions 118-1000mhz Scanner LP antenna and was wondering what do I all need to mount the antenna to the antenna mast just the hardware or will I need to buy a mounting bracket to mount to the side of the house?

kayleesdad

it comes with a bracket with a clamp and two screws. the elements are vertically oriended (like in the website picture) and the clamp arm attaches to the top of one of the beams. it does work better than a Radio Shack discone (and is much sturdier) under similar conditions and also receives really well for the dTV receiver -- all 42 channels. It should work well out in the open.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Despite the review on eham.net that says it appears to receive equally well in all directions, the DPD is a log periodic antenna with pronounced directivity. Unless most of the weaker signals you want to hear all come from the same general direction, you may want to consider a rotator (while neighbors are in a "go for it" mood).

kayleesdad

yes, indeed excellent point popnokick makes is to remember it has directional characteristics and you will want to rotate it to get better reception for signals from different directions. I move it around and point it in different directions to get best results.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Despite the review on eham.net that says it appears to receive equally well in all directions, the DPD is a log periodic antenna with pronounced directivity. Unless most of the weaker signals you want to hear all come from the same general direction, you may want to consider a rotator (while neighbors are in a "go for it" mood).

I agree,lol! Also if budget is a problem, you can use the "strong arm" method and just leave brackets loose enough to rotate it with vise grips,lol! :)

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.